Sign in to follow this  
WeekendMiniaturist

Flexcut Carving tools

WeekendMiniaturist

https://www.flexcut.com/home/product/fr310-beginners-palm-set

My husband bought a beginners set a while ago and today was the first time that I tried to use these tools.  The tool fits in my hand nicely.  

Admittedly, I was working on cleaning up a pocket cut that I didn't make deep enough, and it was basswood, but I thought I had great control.  

Bill Hudson

Many years ago I bought a set of Flexcut carving knives (not the gouges). When new they cut beautifully.  When I tried sharpening them after a while I found the spring steel they are made from was way too hard to sharpen. I eventually pulled the blades from the handles and re-tempered them to a lower hardness.  They lasted me for several years after that. The real problem with the gouges for me is that the handles are too small for my large hands. 

Bill

WeekendMiniaturist

I would guess that my hands are definitely smaller, and I finding the perfect handle for my gravers was the reason I turned them on a lathe myself.    I was wondering what would happen when I needed to sharpen them.  My set came with profile for maintenance, which should help me keep them sharp, and hopefully I don't alter the profiles.

https://www.flexcut.com/home/product/pw12-flexcut-slipstrop

pw12fig2a

I am glad to learn about an alternative though for sharpening. 

I hope to work on a life size carving in cherry, ie a fan for a highbox, and then if this is satisfactory, I will probably purchase the microset of flexcut carving tools, or I need to sharpen and replace the handles on my dockyard tools.