Can I ALTER a router bit for additional clearance?

WeekendMiniaturist

I'm cutting out Queen Anne Legs. 

My router bit is:  https://freudtools.com/products/04-096

The problem is it is on 1/4" length of the 1/16" and I need just a little more clearance...can I put this in my taig lathe and give myself 1/8" more clearance on the length?  Has any altered a commercial router bit?  I have limited experience in sharpening and have made my own profile for 1/8" square tool bits for my taig lathe.

Obviously the risk is that I could break the bit, and I've already broke a whiteside 5/16" length bit this weekend...  I was a little too aggressive in my plunge rate and chips were too big- resulting in heat + no clearance - broken bit.

Thanks -

The spec sheet says it's a carbide bit.   It's going to be harder than any cutting tools you have unless you have diamond-coated bits.   I believe that carbide (i.e., tungsten carbide) is best machined when it's soft/green.

I switched to a 1/8" bit, which provides a through cut...  but it isn't cutting like I want.  I will order a replacement whiteside bit tomorrow, (SC01) so should have it by the weekend.   I'm back to the shop in a little bit, will see if I can get two more pairs of legs cut out without killing the Freud 1/16" bit.  I get 5/16" cutting length on the whiteside bit.

If this doesn't work it is back to the drawing board and I'll set it up to pin route with my dremel and pin routing base that I purchased at Guild School.  

These inlay router bits are easily broken!

Thanks  for the assistance!

I use the Dremel 9902 bit for pinrouting. Because the shank is also 1/8" you can use it for deeper cuts too. 

Thank you Elga, I have a dremel 9902 bit too, but I only have 1/8, 1/4, 1/2" collets for my router.  If my brain is working I think these are 3/32"... I will check this out, though as they are so readily available - subject to the risk of going to a home improvement store... (live and in person under a face mask.)  I have eliminated all fun shopping trips and think mail order is safer alternative.

I also snapped my 1/8" bit on Sunday.  This is becoming an interesting end mill router bit habit --- pushing the edge of end mill router bit tolerances.

If I switch to 1/8" shank I am able to get a 1/2" cutting length and 1/16" diameter, so I ordered two of those today.    I just love the 1/16" and see if I can get through this challenge without snapping my bit....  I used my 1/4" cutting length for about 8 legs yesterday and no accidents.

DIY QA Legs have to be the most humbling leg to make in miniature.  I thought it was pretty close to impossible to make two identical legs for my needlework stand - but QA legs for multiple chairs is pretty intense, and I appreciate all of our Guild Instructors and their prep for our miniature classes, even more than ever now!

I do like the two flute bits, I think they give a nice finish.

I am hoping to have some real progress for Petipointer Zoom meeting!

I ordered end mills on Tuesday and received them on Thursday; great delivery time!  The people at Accupro evidently can't read a tape measurer.  The flutes expand at the top, so if I really attempt to use this bit to 1/2"  depth, I'm going to end up with a chamfered edge.  I think 3/8" or .375 is more accurate for the bit's cutting length and  this is the maximum that I have found.

The dremel bit has a 1/8" shank Tamra. I am sorry your new bits expand. I find 8 ans 12 flute buts much better for pinrouting, with less flutes I have found it grabbing my wood and destroying my piece.

I have all my dremel tools in a bag, and will try a 1/8" dremel bit tomorrow...  I don't really think of cherry wood as that hard, but I do have some minor tear out, so those legs are going in the giant waste bin.  I have a dremel 561 on my desk but will look for the one you recommended tomorrow.    The legs are definitely improving, I am working on filing set 6 right now....

Tamra which speed do you use? I find about 8000 to 10000 rpm works well, more than that and the wood starts burning. Also sometimes the cutter doesn't like the wood grain on the curvy bits of your leg or whatever and feeding the wood in at a slight angle can help too. Please post a photo of your legs, I would like to see them.