Will it burn out? Can I cast it?

Catherine Ronan

When I first saw the Chrysnbon stoves I immediately bought several kits. The plan was to cast them in bronze and silver solder the pieces together. If you're thinking... WOW! That would be quick, you would be wrong. It takes a long time to get all those pieces sprued up, cast and cleaned up. Then you have to solder them together, usually with a torch in each hand.

I sold a lot of them over the years. Oddly enough, yesterday I found out one of the stoves I made is in The Toy & Miniature Museum of Kansas City. I never would have known that if I had not joined this forum.

There are several things that do not work on the stove kit. The oven door opened but that is about it. I wanted things to work. So for a few of those stoves I had to cut the pieces apart. Meaning it might take several kits to make one stove that had working doors and so forth.

Not all plastics, styrene, or natural materials burn out clean for the lost wax casting process. The best test I found to tell if something will burn out, is to take a piece of that material and burn it up with my torch. If nothing remains (ash or residue) you can be assured of a clean burnout in the kiln.

After the stove was finished It was oxidized and waxed.

post-20-0-59389600-1399501954_thumb.jpg

Beautiful!..... About how many of those did you do and did you sell them at shows or through someone else? It would be fun to modify the plastic parts to make everything work, of course that only triple or quadruple the amount of work and cost which most of us on this forum would think is perfectly reasonable.

Many years ago I visited John and Judy Berman, that was a lot of fun. At the time John and I were both into On3 modeling...... For those that don't know, they were the ones that created Chrysnbon, Judy designed and did the sales, John, her son designed and made the molds as I recall.

I really couldn't say for sure how many I made, more than 20 I am sure. I didn't have one myself until 4 years ago. Some  of the stoves sold at shows. Oddly enough, people just managed to find me at home to order one. That was in the days before the internet.

I also cast the parlor stove. It was a rather plain looking piece. It had too much faux nickel bling for me. I added a lot of wax embellishment to that one before I cast it.

I met Judy and her son at a show in Chicago. Their bathroom set is still great too.

I have a similar stove in real life / child size... and our sons loved the stove when they were young.  This is a great stove in miniature, and I'm jealous of those 20 people who own one.   Wow, is there anything that a miniaturist did not make? I frequently tell people who are curious that everything that has been made in real life has been attempted, and probably masterfully recreated by someone.  Tamra/Indiana

Oh wow!! I can't believe it :) Well yes I can you are an incredible talent---Linda

Wow that's great...do you do your own casting? I'd love a little tutorial about it.

Paul

A casting tutorial is a great idea, I am rather curious about the process.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived