Guild School Scholarship Program

Member1

One thing heard often from miniaturists about Guild School is "I could never afford to go". Did you know they have a scholarship program that each year pays for the classes, food and rooming for a number of students. This makes a huge difference and allows a lot of wonderful people to attend that may have thought it was impossible. A number of members of this forum have received scholarships.

Check this site for the details and remember the dead line for applications for next year is August 1.

http://www.igma.org/guild_school/scholarships.html

So right! I thought just the same, and merely dreamt about being able to attend one day. Until i heard of the program too. I'd only just started out in miniatures and thought my work was not good enough too. But forget all of that! That's not the point. There are a whole bunch of things they look at, so don't think you should apply or have no chance because you just started.

So I urge anyone who's passionate about miniatures but feels held back in some way to apply! The educational benefits are outrageous and you get to be among the best people who perfectly understand why you love to make miniatures.

Read the link above, scratch your head, and have a go! Who nows where it might lead you?! I've been granted a scholarship in 2010. And just the other day I received Artisan. And I don't think I would have made it this far had I not be able to come to Guild School that first year, with the aid of the Scholarship Program! 

Debora, one of my favorite pictures from that year is the one of you and Nell with the little gourd house, and the story of

how you always loved it, and there IT and SHE were, and you could see it in person!  Being a scholarship student is such

a great opportunity.

When Kari and I collaborated on a piece of furniture, and it went for an unbelievable amount of money at the auction,

I said, 'we just got a scholarship for someone!' So awesome to be a part of making someone SO HAPPY!!

p.s. you certainly deserve Artisan!!!!!!!!!

I can only echo what Debora said, I received a scholarship to attend the 2011 Guild School, for me it was a life changing experience and launched me into making miniatures full time. I was very unsure of myself and my skills when I went, not having seen any fine quality miniatures for real before, and not certain how mine would measure up. The encouragement I got that year especially from one of my teachers gave me the confidence I so badly needed to believe in myself and my skills.

And if I think about the pieces I submitted for the scholarship application...I can say for sure that the selection committee are good at spotting raw talent.

Guild School is not just an awesome learning experience but also a place where you built many special friendships with like minded people from all over the globe.

All this sounds so wonderful. I would love to go and take a class. It would also be great to meet all the people there. There is so much I would like to learn.

Elga and Debora... You both jumped from being a beginners to an experts at record speed. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget about this..... The deadline for getting your applications in for next year is only 2 months away!

• 1 month later...

Less than a month left before the application deadline for next year…… and the instructors have the same deadline to get their information for next years classes in and I understand there are going to be some good ones!…... it does't take that long to fill it out the application and why wait another year?

There are a number of members on this forum that have received scholarships and they'll tell you it can be a life changing week…...

Just in case you didn't know...... You DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF THE IGMA to apply..... The program is open to everyone!

Archived