tiny reproduction of The Time Machine

miraclechicken

This is a tiny reproduction of the time machine from the 1962 movie of the same name. I got to work in many different mediums, carving wood, turning wood and brass...

post-51-0-65111900-1399264583_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-80730800-1399264597_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-01508200-1399264611_thumb.jpg

Do you have any larger close ups? This looks like a fun project. You did a very nice job on the chest for it. are the front and top panels painted or inlaid?

The box is painted as per the order. I kinda re-sized the photos down- HA go figure, I did it backwards, oh well- I'll re-post the original

large size.

I love this piece, every time I see it. It's so unusual and so well made! I love all the detail you've put into it, despite not ever seen the movie. Your scale model actually makes me wanna see it. And the finish on the box is just so nice, very fitting to what's inside!

• 2 weeks later...

The closer I look into this, the more I am impressed. Wow!!!!

Yes, I too would like to see a bigger picture. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dr. William Ashworth sent out this email as he does one every morning celebrating some anniversary in the history of science.

Oct. 12 was the date on the dial when the time-sled in the film The Time Machine (1960) slid to a stop in the land of the Eloi. The year was 802,701. The film was produced by George Pál, who had introduced the Golden Age of Sci-Fi cinema by giving us Destination Moon (1950), When Worlds Collide (1951) and The War of the Worlds (1953); he then brought it to a close with The Time Machine, his finest effort, in our opinion; here is one of the movie posters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine_(1960_film)#/media/File:Brown,r_time_macine60.jpg . The film starred Rod Taylor as H. George Wells, builder of the time machine and bearing the name of the author of the original novel, while Yvette Mimieux played one of the Eloi, human descendants of the far future, who were oppressed by the underground race of Morlocks. The Morlocks kept the Eloi like cattle and fed upon them--until Rod Taylor showed them about grit and the human spirit, that is!

The major prop of the film is the time-sled, which was beautifully crafted with curved runners of brass tubing, a cut-glass throttle handle, and at the rear, a large spinning disk whose speed of rotation served as an indicator of the rate of time travel: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/gqe7onrj76a6bfvnpm4e.png . George and his sled made stops in 1900 (the present-day of the film was 1899), 1917, 1940, and 1966, before fast-forwarding to 802,701 and commencing the battle with the Morlocks. After the film was completed, the time-sled was stored on the MGM lot, along with lots of other goodies, such as the steamboat in Show Boat and the ship from the Mutiny on the Bounty, to say nothing of the ruby slippers worn by Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. In 1971, MGM auctioned off these and thousands more film artefacts (watch a 10-minute news digest of the auction, if you are interested; the time-sled appears at the 7:20 mark:

). The time-sled was bought by a road-show owner, but five years later, it was spotted in a second-hand store in California and acquired by the noted film buff and collector Bob Burns III. The control panel and seat had disappeared (the dashboard having been removed for the close-up shots of the time odometer, never replaced, and subsequently lost). Burns owned the original plans for the time-sled, given to him by Pál himself, so he brought in some top Hollywood prop men to help him restore the missing pieces. Once refurbished, it went into the museum in the basement at his home; in this photo, it is occupied by none other than Ray Bradbury, author of The Martian Chronicles: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--XflGMSO4--/18xpctnvyojjajpg.jpg . The sled has been loaned out numerous times to next-generation film makers. The sled's most notable appearance was in Episode 8 of Carl Sagan's Cosmos (1980). Discussing the plausibility of time travel, Carl flies in on the time machine at the 39.38 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADknmp0zK1Q and wonders: what if the Ionians of ancient Greece had prevailed? Would we now be travelling among the stars?

Lowering the level a bit, the Wells time machine also appeared in an episode of the Big Bang Theory in 2007. You can probably find the entire episode on YouTube, but here are two back-to-back scenes, one with Leonard in the driver’s seat, and another with Sheldon at the controls. Both are pretty funny, we must admit:

. In the latter, the Morlocks make what is, one hopes, their last screen appearance.

a 1/12th scale time machine would be a great project - now how do we make the lights work off of a battery?

I often think it would be fun to time travel.... I know I would like to make several stops on the timeline of history, but still haven't decided what time period would be my favorite.

It was fun to revisit Linda's little masterpiece...and a nice way to begin the week...

Very interesting, can't watch due to data constraints but your info was!

I love to think about time travel, and would sure love to do it. But it seems to me that if it were possible, and two people were sitting together talking, and someone somewhere in the world time traveled and messed with one of their ancestors, poof they'd just disappear! So if that were the case, we'd have people disappearing all the time right before our eyes! You would not be able to alter anything anywhere and have things turn out the same. 

Archived