Hello!

Bill Hudson

I think all the scale modelers are now ghosts! Our life size kitchen remodel has been a huge distraction for my ability to concentrate on anything but the details of finishing out a kitchen, calling contractors, patching plaster (because it has to be nice behind the cabinets!!), pulling 1000 nails out of my wood floors, you know the fun, tear out,  details of destruction, then comes the real fun,  of decisions about, hardware, tile, flooring, countertops, faucet.... aaargghh!  if it is done by labor day it will be a miracle.  

I purchased 3/8" Medium Density Overlay and it was delivered yesterday, and am planning a few roomboxes, If I can get someone to cut these 4'x8' sheets into something a bit more manageable for me.  

This morning I turned a new handle from cherry wood for a diy tool; I am making a scratch awl from "Shop Notes" Vol 8 issue 44,  I just need to buy a 3/16 brass flare nut and find a 6" drill bit to grind the opposite end to a tapered point, it is such a pretty handle, I had to turn a new one for me.    I am very excited, I found an article in The Scale Cabinet Maker  info about making a miniature lock, so as soon as I find the brass shim stock that I purchased previously, I will have miniature experiment, perhaps I can put a real miniature lock in my little Guild Study Program Spice chest... I don't know if the door is deep enough for a lock though.  The instructions in TSC said I needed a scratch awl, and that was just the excuse I needed to make me a new pretty awl.

with the delivery of my nice flat, MDO, I am another step closer to a dream staircase, a Whitledge Burgess Room Box kit, and the Guild Study Program place for the Thorne Room Overmantle to rest in a real setting...

All I want for Christmas is a panel saw - lots cheaper then a CNC that will machine a 4'x 8' sheet of MDO.

SOOOOOO... what is everyone else up to in the Scale Miniature World?

17 hours ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

I purchased 3/8" Medium Density Overlay and it was delivered yesterday, and am planning a few roomboxes, If I can get someone to cut these 4'x8' sheets into something a bit more manageable for me.  

There are several versions of clamp on guide bars for using with a Skill (generic name now days)  saw to rip or cross cut  large panels. I use mine a lot for cutting down large sheets.

Please forgive my whining about equipment, we have a table saw set up in the middle of an 8' outfeed area; I'm just too short to feel comfortable using it combined with the weight of the MDO.  He has a huge CNC and a vertical panel saw at work, but of course I can't use their equipment.   They took out the manual two saw horizontal panel saw where dear husband works, or I suspect he would have already cut this for me on Saturday, but I had him busy shopping for kitchen stuff, so it is still laying here flat in the middle of my office right now.    

I just looked at my clamp for straight edge sawing with portable equipment and it measures about 56" +/-.... and my MDO is definitely 8', and I want to rip on the 8' length.  We have both  portable circular saw, and a skill saw, and I have a portable contractor Skill Saw, that we use when we are working on the kids houses. I may start using this myself more frequently.

I was studying my WB roombox on Sunday, and decided I needed to actually draw it out on paper so I can eliminate any waste.   WB did not give outer dimensions and cut instructions because the kit buyer could use the dimension thickness of wood they wished to use...so I need to examine again, and I was going back and forth in my head between the mat board cutting instructions and the layout of the interior dimensions of the box, trying to figure out why there is 3/4" difference in the width of each side of the roombox and, they must have done this to provide additional 'framing' perspective of the matboard to the 3 D art work.

You are so close to Roseberg Forest products.  They mfg MDO and it shipped to our Menard's Big Box store, but unfortunately, I could not find anyone to  stock 3/8" except the sign mfgs.  My local wood supplier had 3/8" russian birch in 5x5 sheets but the stock that I saw was warped, and I would have to drive 1.5 hours each way to pick through the inventory, so I had the MDO delivered.  The MDO is a nice product, I purchased 1 side primed, but I think paper would have been fine too.

I'm having a <light bulb> moment.  Those 56" +/- clamps would work on the 48" side of the MDO.    Because of the configuration of the table, I would rip 4'x8' sheets of material on the long side though.  Table saws cuts are so precise and beautiful.  I'm just not good with portable power tools, and am so glad that I waited.  I'm infinitely happier using desktop power tools, then life size power tools.  I have no issues with a miter saw, band saw, router and routinely use my lathe and its mill configuration, and of course a dremel... 

Thanks to son#2, who stopped by this afternoon, 2 of the 3 roomboxes are cut now.   He surprised me and called me at lunch time offering to come and do my cuts!  It feels a little like Christmas today.  

I need to actually decide on the staircase, so I know what size box I want for box #3. 

I already have the stuff out for the back wall of the GSP Room, need to find my previously purchased fabric  and also decide on lighting paths before I assemble the box.

I am working on orders and need to start preparing for my classes that I am teaching at our South African Convention in September. And the crochet bug has bitten me, doing both miniature and full scale crochet at the moment.

Tamra, I don't think I ever want to get caught up in a renovation again, hope yours goes smoothly.

• Like 1

Hello! Thanks, Bill for trying to rally us! I, too, have been wondering where everybody is. 

I have been busy, just not posting. I currently have two “builds” in various stages, a room box that is a large walk-in closet and one part of a condo in New Orleans. I also have my wonderful step back cupboard from my class with Mark Murphy that needs finishing and 2 needlework pieces in process. Then there’s the Plantation bedroom and porch to finish, and ...

My list could go on and on! I hope we hear from others, too!

Martha

• Like 2

Elga, your crocheted items are wonderful to view and the South African Miniature Convention looks like a lot of fun.  I wish you and your students fun with your classes.

Martha, I know the power of "and" but I like having multiple builds... in my head, but I should really try and finish some of my classes.  The GSP Overmantle is one of those classes to finish!  I also have a petitpoint rug in progress that has seem a little needle action, but not enough; if only I could stitch in my sleep.

I'm looking forward to finding if there are any other miniatures with projects!  I know we have hundreds of Guild Students each year, but perhaps they are much better then me, and finish their projects before leaving school!

I hope some of the Workshop Students will post about their projects, too.