Oldest Pickup Truck

Guy Gadois

My current  project is a scale model of the "World's Oldest Pickup" truck. This truck used wooden spoke wheels much like older wagons,  buggies, and the like. I have made many wood spoke wheels employing traditional full-scale methods, but I thought I would like to try something different. I scroll sawed the wheel including the spokes and then rounded the spokes to the appropriate egg shape. This type of wheel is called an "Archibald" as it uses a metal hub instead of a wooden hub. The tyre is a square section, 3 inch O-ring.  I didn't know square section O-rings existed until I stumbled on to a web site called the "O-Ring-Store-LLC", located in Washington State. 

Cheers,

Guy

Hi, Bill

I show two photos, one by accident, on my computer. I'll attach another one and maybe the wheel will appear.

Archibald Wheel.jpg

Guy,Yes, this photo has appeared!  I love wheels... they remain on my list of things to try!  Thank you for persisting and sharing a picture with us!  And I appreciate the O Ring source too; I am guessing that I will be shopping on their site.

I have seen a square o-ring for garden hose, but this is the only time I have seen them in real life.   Are square rubber tires consistent on a  certain type of wheel?  The only carriage resource that I have locally is the Studebaker National Museum, and I think they have a wooden carriage in the museum, I will have to add this to my list of places to visit this year.

If you search "EngelsCoachShop" site on Youtube, there are many interesting videos on horse drawn vehicles, some with rubber tyres. 

Archived