Artisan Hardware/Component Supplier List

petrikNZ

I am struggling trying to find the right heading for this post. I am trying to compile a list of Artisans who create bespoke hardware components. I find myself looking for items that I can't locate in the mass produced marketplace and that I either don't have the tools or skills for to create but require for larger project ideas.

If you are such an Artisan or know of people who are please get in touch.

I want to compile a list of individual artisans not mass production manufacturers or miniaturist retailing stores. Those are seperate lists.

Examples are medieval building hardware such as decorative hinges and door handles/rings. Roofing options, Furniture components such as turned legs or carved sections. Some of these things are to a degree available in the mainstream but rarely of the design you need for your particular project.

I am looking for building blocks if you like. The base items that go together to create the whole.

I hope I am clear in my description in the type of things I am looking for if not please contact me for further clarification.

Sample image attached to give the idea.

ring-handle-and-knocker2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Ronstetkewiczminiatures/

I'm not sure of the details of your project but my favorite hardware resource is Ron Stetkewicz in the USA.  I'm sure there are other people who create cast hardware, too.

I look forward to hearing from other miniaturists if they have other hardware resources from other countries.

I wonder if anyone does custom turnings on a mass production basis.  I could not find a resource for the custom turnings I wanted, so I went to Guild School and started to learn to turn on a metal desktop lathe  (metals and wood) and am quite happy with my progress.  I participated in a class using the lathe in 2014 and 2015.  Of course when I got home after Guild School, I was purchasing tools, and by 2016, I was to the point that I could really practice and start learning to use the lathe.  There were several suppliers of basswood turnings through the years that were available in catalogs and at shows, but finding them in the hardwood that I wanted for my projects never happened, so with some help of some great classes, books,  a supportive husband and a great online community, I am learning to make my own turnings.

Hardware can of course be cast and custom made, but I would guess you would have to commission that level of work.

Welcome to the Forum!

10 hours ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

https://www.facebook.com/Ronstetkewiczminiatures/

I'm not sure of the details of your project but my favorite hardware resource is Ron Stetkewicz in the USA.  I'm sure there are other people who create cast hardware, too.

I look forward to hearing from other miniaturists if they have other hardware resources from other countries.

I wonder if anyone does custom turnings on a mass production basis.  I could not find a resource for the custom turnings I wanted, so I went to Guild School and started to learn to turn on a metal desktop lathe  (metals and wood) and am quite happy with my progress.  I participated in a class using the lathe in 2014 and 2015.  Of course when I got home after Guild School, I was purchasing tools, and by 2016, I was to the point that I could really practice and start learning to use the lathe.  There were several suppliers of basswood turnings through the years that were available in catalogs and at shows, but finding them in the hardwood that I wanted for my projects never happened, so with some help of some great classes, books,  a supportive husband and a great online community, I am learning to make my own turnings.

Hardware can of course be cast and custom made, but I would guess you would have to commission that level of work.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the link. It looks like Ron is not very active with his Facebook Page (last post 2016) though it does say he responds to messages within in an hour or so.

I would love to see more online classes on places like Skillshare or even on makers own websites as there is no way I could get to Guild School Classes.

It is interesting request for online classes.  Having just the experience of preparing to teach for my miniature club in the past, it takes up a lot of time to teach, and I can only imagine how much prep I would need to do online classes.  I think for our Artisans who create miniatures on a full-time basis, would need their time to produce and sell, but they might consider online classes if folks were to pay and subscribe.  So each of us have to ask ourselves how much would you be willing to pay?

If any artisans are interested in the ability to chat over a phone line and share a monitor, I have this software in my office for our phone system, so I could give you a demonstration on this one, so you can see how it works, my work load is lighter in the summer months, so I can schedule this kind of demo in Jun, Jul, Aug.  Having used this kind of software electronically for the past year, it can be challenging for the person at the other end, who does not know how to install files, or does not even know where the files have been installed on their computers... so what sounds like it is easy; is still work from a person where the are self-employed as full-time miniaturists.  (I am not employed as a miniaturist - I am pretty sure you have to finish them to sell them.)

I'm glad you found Ron's facebook page; I suspect that all small business may find it challenging to produce inventory, ship, attend shows, and stay current with social media a challenge, and I think Ron is his only employee unless one of children is assisting to learn the trade.  Time vs. income might be the number one reason our artisans don't maintain incredible websites in addition to producing miniatures that captivate us!  I'm just happy when I get to to to shows and my favorite artisans have inventory to sell to me!  Finding that perfect hardware for a door can produce my own - I want to finish this project sense of urgency!

Ron is a 2nd generation miniaturist!  

Mr. Hudson has some incredible information here on the fine miniatures forum,  and there have been 100s of books published for making miniatures in additions to thousands and thousands of magazine articles, depending on the subject matter you want to learn.  Mr. Robertson also has some incredible posts on the forum here that illustrate how he makes things, and if you watch his KC Ted Talk, it is another glimpse into the Artist and his processes.  

If you want to make furniture, I think The Scale Cabinetmaker Magazines and booklets are the Best!  The magazines and booklets are available online as pdfs, and you can purchase them on eBay.

I bet there are some YouTube Videos for turning small items on line; but I have never looked for them; I have looked at other subjects, but strangely when it comes to turning, I usually go back to a book when I'm at home and left to my own devices for learning.  There are several foundational classes on wood turning in books.

And you can still attend classes in your own community for full size items; you just need to always be thinking about how to miniaturize to the scale desired.  I attended Marc Adams school of woodworking last year, to learn about Stereotomy.  I needed to understand how to apply a drawing on paper and transfer it to wood - 

If you want to Casting Hardware, then I would look at the jewelry community for classes and/or books and webinars.

Some more suppliers are:

1. Olde Mountain Miniatures, https://oldemountain.com/ she only has line drawings on her website but you can see photos on this website https://earthntree.com/miniatures/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_82_527

2. Cats Paw, they have lots of hardware but you have to email and ask for a cataloque as they don't have the 1/12 scale items on their website. https://www.catspawonline.com/

3. Some lovely hardware here, they gave me a few samples at Guild School.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/drgsbrass?fbclid=IwAR15sG9HDXT4e-O1df3raAt8rHZb88MdZCjNXDcPkKdHh7TbW7zbGTowLnU

• 2 months later...

It depends on how high end of a building is when it comes to how difficult it is to make medieval hardware. /For the more ordinary buildings you can make a lot of it yourself with some basic tools. One of the most important tools is a torch to anneal the brass or steel so that it is malleable. A book on jewelery making will teach you all the basics of cutting and forming including adding texture to the surfaces. Videos of blacksmiths making hinges and latches will also teach you a lot about it.

I did go to Salem Oregon a number of years ago and took a few hours of miniature blacksmithing tutorials from Alan Hamer. He is a guild business member and  does do custom work. I took a look to see if there was an address for him in the list and I was  surprised to see him listed as being in France.  Well if he truly is there and it is not an error then good for him as there are a lot of fantastic medieval buildings in France, both grand and humble ones.

There is a very fine museum in Rouen France that is just for that type of metal working.   Unfortunately it was closed for renovation when I was in that city which made me sad as it was on my bucket list of things to see while in Normandy.

Musee Secq des Tournelles

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187191-d219327-Reviews-Musee_Secq_des_Tournelles-Rouen_Seine_Maritime_Haute_Normandie_Normandy.html

An interview with Alan Hamer

http://thedailymini.com/daily-mini-interview-alan-hamer-miniatures/

I find it fairly easy to create things such as hinges and basic latches in a more rustic medieval style for simple habitations. Of course I could not do the door hardware for  a medieval Cathedral as I have not attempted to attain all the skills needed for such work. I don't want to make a Cathedral or Palace, etc.

Returning to my last class with the Guild, at the Guild Study Program Williamsburg, I had dinner with Alan Hammer and another student I had met at the Chicago Guild Study Program the previous October.    I think it was January 2017... and Alan indicated he was retiring and the Chicago International Show 2017 was rumored to be his last show.  I wouldn't be surprised if he popped back up, but he is without one wooden wheel jig, because he sold it to me at the Chicago International Show!

I like the idea of lost wax casting... I see from adds when I'm on various machining websites, we can 3-d print with metals - I don't know if this kind a filament is an option with an inexpensive machine or if it requires a $100,000 investment... that is a lot of miniature hardware to sell on that investment.  We have 3D printers at one of our libraries and at our makerspace.

Archived