AGING roof /floor tiles

Christiane

What are the items made from that you want to age?

Wood items can be aged by leaving them outdoors, and the processed can be hastened with chalk, acrylic and india ink.  

If an item is too shiny, test rubbing it with some very high grit sandpaper (400 grit or higher) on the bottom and see if you can decrease the shine.   LIGHTLY, do not sand with a heavy hand as you can remove paint or finish... you can also paint over it with a paint that has less shine.

Oh... are your familiar with the brilliance of Pat & Noel Thomas?  You may find some techniques on her blog.  Pat shared many of their techniques in the Nutshell News Magazines articles, too.

https://smallhousepress.me/

Does anyone know if the Thomas still sell their magical "bug juice"?

The model railroading community has done a great job on the topic of weathering and you may be able to find books or magazines at your local library.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2018 at 9:41 AM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

What are the items made from that you want to age?

Wood items can be aged by leaving them outdoors, and the processed can be hastened with chalk, acrylic and india ink.  

If an item is too shiny, test rubbing it with some very high grit sandpaper (400 grit or higher) on the bottom and see if you can decrease the shine.   LIGHTLY, do not sand with a heavy hand as you can remove paint or finish... you can also paint over it with a paint that has less shine.

Oh... are your familiar with the brilliance of Pat & Noel Thomas?  You may find some techniques on her blog.  Pat shared many of their techniques in the Nutshell News Magazines articles, too.

https://smallhousepress.me/

Does anyone know if the Thomas still sell their magical "bug juice"?

The model railroading community has done a great job on the topic of weathering and you may be able to find books or magazines at your local library.

to make aging solution....

mix about 1 -1/2 teaspoons of ferrous sulfate into a cup of water. Or for a big batch 3 tablespoons of ferrous sulfate into a gallon of water. You can purchase ferrous sulfate from garden centers or online. You don't need very much of it. Do test and adjust the mixture according to the type of wood you are treating.  The iron in the solution reacts with the tannic acid in the wood creating that grey appearance.

You can also create  iron bearing liquid solution for aging miniatures by placing some very fine steel wool into white vinegar, let stand for a while, (half a day to several days), test on the wood, strain and store in a suitable glass or plastic container. It can be diluted with water if too strong or increased in strength by adding more steel wool, letting it brew for a while, then straining again. Do not use a metal container or metal lid for storage. With the vinegar solution there will be off-gassing for a while so you need to release that gas by removing the cap on the bottle now and again over a month's time.

Karin, So nice to see you on the FMF today.  I have always wondered how these solutions were created, but never went to find the chemical recipes.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I tried an experiement with rusty nails and white vinegar; I did not off-gas, though.  I wonder where that glass container is in my basement!

Karin

Thank you for your info that I keep carefully for future use

my present concern is to age roof tiles and floor tiles in red clay.

Archived