Georgian inspired study 1:12

30 posts in this topic

WeekendMiniaturist

Artist, this looks great!  The waterbased products look like they serve you well... I have never used any... I like oil... I have some molding that I need to paint, so I had them out for sanding sealer, and it is like a sauna outdoors, so no finishing here.  Congrats on your progress --> details are great!

Artist

Thanks!

Yes, the waterbased urethane has worked very well, I had the two quarts left over from refinishing an oak pew a while back, it worked beautifully. I cant wait for oil based stuff to dry, not with the dust at work and the dust and dog hair at home- it has to dry FAST.

3 applications over sanding sealer and it's good to go, you can even see the reflection from the brass doorplate shining under the chair if you look close.

Artist

Now that some of the parts I ordered from the UK arrived, I have the ceiling cornice all installed. The fireplace overmantle is one of two I ordered from two different people in the UK to see which I like better and which works better with the elaborate fireplace I'm waiting on, for now I just have this overmantle resting on top of the to-be-replaced fireplace which is too small.
The "marble" hearth floor fits perfectly over where I had the brick one- the new fireplace is wider than this old one so the hearth floor had to be replaced and I got one sized for the new fireplace.

The overmantle is only primed, I haven't decided yet on the paint for it and the fireplace, both are white plaster and the fireplace will need to be primed first. I also am waiting for the fireplace to get here before I can finish the wainscotting.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

WeekendMiniaturist

Artist,  I'm glad that you told us about waiting for the fireplace decision before finishing the wainscoting, as I haven't done a raised panel room for a while, a LONG while, so this is a great reminder.   I appreciate the detail in the fireplace, the brick looks used and not new.  Did you make your own bricks for the interior of the fireplace?  

It has been fun seeing your progress!  After the fireplace decision and finishing the wainscoting, what is next in the project?

Artist
20 hours ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

Artist,  I'm glad that you told us about waiting for the fireplace decision before finishing the wainscoting, as I haven't done a raised panel room for a while, a LONG while, so this is a great reminder.   I appreciate the detail in the fireplace, the brick looks used and not new.  Did you make your own bricks for the interior of the fireplace?  

It has been fun seeing your progress!  After the fireplace decision and finishing the wainscoting, what is next in the project?

Yep, it's one of those thing where you cant finish one part until you finish something else, and so with the wainscotting I can't finish that until I have the fireplace completely done and set in place, then I'll have to come up with what's needed to wrap the wainscotting to it's sides. The fireplace is about 6" wide, the wall is about 7", so there will be about a 1/2" wall on both sides to the corners that have to be finished with something, a 1/2" wall is too little for a section with any panels, so it will have to be some filler moldings.

The replacement fireplace is coming from Alison in the UK, I don't know why she doesn't keep a few on hand ready to ship, they take so little material it would make more sense, but her web site says she casts them to order and that it takes 3 weeks. The fireplace is fantastic though and it's going to "make" the room.

I also have an overmantle from her coming too, so either that one or the one pictured will be what I'll be choosing from.

The bricks came from Andy's, I could make my own but realistically when a whole bag of them were something like $6 it just makes sense to let someone else do that kind of thing.

I didn't do anything special to them other than applying the mortar and wiping the excess off with a damp rag. There is a black colored fireback in there from the UK  but it can't be seen in the photo.

My one issue with the replacement fireplace is the opening is smaller and the top of it's opening is 1/4" higher up than what I made, but the 1/4" won't likely be an issue, I'll have to see about the opening because the design around the opening itself cant really be trimmed open larger without messing up the decorations on it, it would be either remove that completely or leave it. This can be seen in the attached photo.

After the fireplace and wainscotting are done then comes the ceiling and I haven't gotten that far yet, I have the plywood for it but I haven't decided on the ceiling treatment yet, but it will have something dramatic, either designs or coffered.

Screen Shot 11 11.14.21 AM.jpg