Guild School 2018

MissyBoling

Tamra suggested on another thread that we show our guild school projects for those who couldn’t make it to Castine this year. I took Bill’s balance scale class and Bonni’s snowshoe class. My balance scales still need refining so they balance and some more work on shaping, but I was excited to get it assembled enough to hang it up for display on graduation night. It was a fun class using the jeweler’s saw, the lathe, lots of files, and even a 5lb sledge hammer. Yes, we beat it to death. I will be making a stand for it to hang from, mentioned in the “what is on your workbench” thread. 

Bonni’s snowshoe class was one of the most challenging I’ve ever taken. She was an awesome teacher, and such fun, but weaving in three directions was a much trickier process than I expected. Just for fun, I think I’ll display this as a work in progress along with directions and an empty whiskey bottle. I will try again until I get two good snowshoes for my future display of winter sports equipment. 

6E9CACA1-6A15-4066-9745-6A63463101BC.jpeg

456485A2-8C04-4F9C-8F0D-18381E88A8D2.jpeg

Thanks Missy for the posts; I can't imagine figuring out how to balance two pans, so you add some soldier to it help balance the scales?  I would not know how to do this. 

The snow shoes look deceptively simple; not in any of my mini dreams (or nightmares) would I imagine weaving in three different directions.  Bonni is amazing to figure this technique and then teach it.  I can imagine a miniature man dressed ready to check the traps, snow blown and cold...

Bill’s first attempt to balance is to switch the pans from one end to the other. That made a big difference with mine. Other ways are to fine tune with filing, making sure there is no binding, making the point of contact between the beam and the support as small as possible, and so on. Mine has some binding, so I’ll fix that, and then go from there. 

I like your image of the windblown man ready to check his traps. ?

Thank you so much for posting this! And for opening this thread! Hugely interesting for those of us who did not attend... so much to learn just from your pics, posts and experience!

I'm reposting my Guild School Projects to this thread as well.  Thanks Missy - I thought we should do that, but got sidetracked.  I've completed my Peacock in oil from Johannes Landman's 36 hour class.  Original was by Edwin John Alexander c 1900. I also completed 2 turned birdhouses in Iulia Chin Lee's 12 hour lathe class. One is Cherry and Padauk, the other is Padauk and American Holly. Loved both classes and learned so much. Both teachers were excellent!

Martha in Louisiana

IMG_2385.JPG.dac1201d5ddfc9f4fb822c2b7f60ade1.JPG

Archived