Spindle Duplicator Anker Design?

5 posts in this topic

WeekendMiniaturist

The tag on eBay listing number lists a "Klein Design" duplicator with a Buy it Now Price of $24.95.   Shipping seems a little high, perhaps the cost is high because they don't want to disassemble for shipping purposes.

eBay item # 312151208442 

I set mine up to turn on a dremel lathe for my miniature club, but round that the inability to hold wood on that blasted bad spur chuck nearly impossible; but I'm sure it could be used with a different small desktop lathe, like Sherline, Taig, perhaps a Unimat 3...? It is too small for the chinese metal lathes, in my opinion, even at 21" length of the item listed on eBay.

I don't recall a lot of women in the woodworking world who have published books, but Bonnie Klein has some very interesting techniques for small turnings in her books; I purchased one of her books.    Although the sticker on the bottom left indicates "Klein" designs; the plans for this duplicator are also sold on eBay - search Anker Duplicator.  I could be making assumptions, as I was not creating miniatures during the time Anker was selling the duplicator.

Bill Hudson

Bonnie bought out Anker.  He was using Taig lathes as his main lathe and the duplicators were designed to fit the Taig. 

WeekendMiniaturist

Thanks Bill, the mystery of who created this wonderful design first is solved for me.  For those interested Bonnie Klein had two books published in my research on Abe Books:

If my memory serves me this morning I think I purchased the first book and need to add the 2nd to my list.  

Classic Woodturning Projects with Bonnie Klein : 12 Skill-Building Designs

Published by Fox Chapel Publishing Company, Incorporated

ISBN 10: 1565232607 ISBN 13: 9781565232600

Small Woodturning Projects with Bonnie Klein

Published by Fox Chapel Publishing, United States (2013)

ISBN 10: 1565238044 ISBN 13: 9781565238046

A post-script thought this morning.... the reason why I believe the duplicator doesn't work with a Chinese Metal lathe, is I don't think the Bonnie Klein listed in this auction has enough height for the cutter to meet the center of the head stock.  Therefore if a Chinese Metal lathe owner would want to duplicate wood on the metal lathe, the Anker Design would need to have more height.  

Bill Hudson

At one time I had my duplicator adapted to mount on my Chinese 7 x14 metal lathe and later to my 9 x 19 metal lathe.  It can be done but you are eventually limited in diameters. 

WeekendMiniaturist

I will probably remove it from the Dremel and mount it on a taig lathe; I need a new board, though because my board doesn't have enough space to mount the duplicator in from on the Taig lathe; I will have to get husband to purchase me some thicker MDF or bring home some scrap; I really prefer a white formica type base, as it is easier to see items laying around the base of the lathe with the white contrast.