Hello from Catherine Ronan

Catherine Ronan

Hello, My name is Catherine Ronan. I live in Memphis, TN. USA.

My journey with miniatures started when I was attending the Memphis Collage of Arts to become a metalsmith. In my first small metals class in 1977, I made a sterling silver birdcage in 1: 12 scale. This was how I learned to silver solder. It looks very crude to me now but it is a sentimental piece that lead me to where I am today.

DSCN0613.JPG

In 1989 I was asked by the state of Tennessee (along with my partner)  to create a silver service (coffee pot, tea pot, sugar bowl, creamer and tray)  for the new trident nuclear submarine the USS Tennessee. It had to be small because every inch on a submarine has to be accounted for. It was to be a gift from the people of of TN (made by Tennessee silversmiths) and presented to the Navy by our Governor upon completion. We created this silver service at the National Ornamental Metal Museum so that the public could come into the smithy and watch the process. That process combined raising, casting, chasing, repoussé and engraving. I continue to do work of this nature today.

After a day of metal work (1: 1 scale) I enjoy trying new things in miniature. I have always said in my artist statements... If I want it, I make it. So I am trying all sorts of things like making miniature animals. I am happy to try any technique or material to achieve the miniature result I am looking for.

DSCN2719.JPG

I was delighted when I was invited to become a member of this forum.

Welcome to the forum Catherine, I am so happy to have you here, you do such beautiful work. The bird cage is lovely, I don't think I have ever seen it before.

What Elga said.. I would like to learn raising, chasing, repoussé and engraving. The casting I can handle. maybe a tutorial on the very basic or suggestions of books.

Hi Catherine! How lovely to see you here. Your metal work is very fine as are your latest animals. Just wonderful to have such a multi talented lady on board. I'm sure we can all learn lot's from you!

Archived