Threading on Sherline lathe

MeezerMama

Has anyone used the thread cutting attachment on the Sherline lathe?    I'd like to try this but would love some pointers from someone who has actually done it.  

I bought the attachment and used it once. It is a very slow process. You have to remove the motor and install a hand wheel and gear drive assembly attachment to the lead screw. It is a matter of setting up the cutting tool and cranking the wheel to cause the tool to move and cut.  Once you have reached the length of the thread you have to back it to the starting point and then adjust the tool to a little deeper cut, repeating the process until you have the desired thread. It is a lot of bother.  I had thought, at one time to buy a used Sherline or order a  lathe with out the motor and set it up permanently as a threading lathe. 

Thanks Bill.   I knew it was hand threaded, about 0.002" per pass and I was willing to do that (just have two bolts to thread).  I was concerned about the rigamarole to set-up the lathe itself.  Since the lathe I would be using doesn't belong to me, I'm reluctant to do that.    You've concerned my suspicions.

Archived