1/32" thick glass

Mrs. L.

Hi Mrs. L. - Buy a frame at the Dollar Store. This glass is actually about 1mm thick. And if you buy the cheap "artwork" and take the glass out, that glass is about 1/16".

George Wrisley, 17784 SE Paradise Drive Milwaukie, Oregon, USA telephone (503)653-2591 sells glass .038" thick in 6"x7" sheets, or he will cut it to size for you. He also sells thin mirror glass.

Catherine, thanks for this suggestion!  I have to get to the Dollar store to buy more glass and to test my glass cutting skills.  I have only cut normal size stained glass, so I am hoping that I can practice on the Dollar Store stock to adjust my pressure.  I did buy an extra piece of glass for my smart phone, when I cracked the cover glass, but it is really, really thin, but at $2 for a pane of glass for a miniature window, the cost seems reasonable to me.  

Did anyone in the forum confirm that Mr. Wrisley continues to have inventory?  

• Like 1

Thank you, Catherine.  I, too, will go to the Dollar Store for frames with thin glass for practice before I try the more expensive glass.  I did find some at Lawbre, but I'm glad to know of George Wrisley, and I'm glad to know he has thin mirror glass available, too.

I sure would want to practice before I tried cutting that expensive glass he sells.  Yes! Lawbre has very thin glass too. I am not sure if she sells it uncut. She is very nice. I have spoken to her on the phone.

I called Mr. Wrisley today, and yes, indeed he does have thin glass for sale!  I will try and post the details tomorrow, as I left the notes at work.  This is not tempered glass, so I think this is a better resource, as I think it may be easier to cut then my micro thin glass from the mobile phone world.  I will need to find some windows around here so I can try and cut for a specific size for my practice glass cutting exercises.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Weekend Miniaturist!  It is excellent news about Mr. Wrisley, and I will be grateful for the details.  I've never cut glass before, even for real-life windows, so it will be a good skill to acquire.

WeekendMiniaturist - This site has some great glass cutting tutorials.

https://www.delphiglass.com/

Do NOT attempt to cut tempered glass. Tempered glass is MADE to fall apart into thousands of small pieces on impact. Car windshields are tempered these days as a safety feature. On impact, small glass pieces won't cut you as badly as large sharp daggers of flying glass. Same for cell phones.

Thanks Collie Feathers... my cell phone "cover" glass was not tempered.    I will look, but I'm pretty sure that I caught it and didn't buy a tempered glass replacement for my cell phone.  My cell is in a "padded" rugged case with a belt clip, and I dropped it and my cover glass broke, but it didn't shatter, and more importantly I didn't kill my cell phone.  Just a nice pretty irregular line when I dropped it.   I lifted it off with my fingernail.

I forgot to mention,  I used to buy thousands of square feet of glass for a window manufacturer in my very first job in an office, so I have some limited knowledge.  I didn't cut the glass, but I used to do the cut sheets for the glass, and that is first job where I learned how to program Lotus 1-2-3 and macros.  

I'm glad you posted this info for the group!

On the subject of glass... husband got me a wonderful glass wizard this past weekend, that was barely used, so I'm feeling pretty lucky, I can now grind glass!

• Like 1

Hi WeekendMiniaturist,

You're right. If the cell phone case didn't shatter, it isn't tempered. The glass wizard WAS a great addition. You're going to be able to do a lot of things with that. Often there is just that tiny little bump in the glass that has to come off and you can grind it off really quickly.

NON Tempered Glass Prices as of June 2017.  Mr. Wrisley is Pacific Time Zone in the US, so I would suggest calling him in the afternoon.

14" x 14" mirrored glass  $76.00                                                                  

14" x 14" clear glass $30.00

Estimated minimum Shipping is $16.95 for full sheets.  Mr. Wrisley builds a special carrier for the glass to ship in.  Purchase 8 or more full sheets 15% discount.

Custom Cutting for square & rectangle pieces of glass:

Clear glass base price $1 / piece + $0.15 per square inch. He indicated an example would be a 2"x 4" rectangle = 8 square inches.   8 inch x $0.15 = $1.20 + $1 base = $2.20

Mirrored glass base price $1.50 / piece + $. 35 per square inch. He indicated an example would be a 2"x 4" rectangle = 8 square inches.   8 inch x $.35 = $2.80 + $1 base = $3.80

Purchase 4 or more custom cut pieces 10% discount.  Estimated shipping $6.00

I will email him this information too, and then I will know I have his email address correct and can add it to the post with his permission.  I know I asked him the thickness of the glass, but I don't see it on my note, so I will also confirm the thickness.

I hope this is ok to post this in a reply.  Moderators if I need to move this to another location on the forum, please notify and I'll move it.  Perhaps I should have posted this in tools & supplies?

Interesting thought about the glass from cell phones and most likely the same from tablets too. I have a neighborhood cell phone repair shop that replaces chipped glass all day long.  They will know if the pieces were tempered or not. They are very friendly foks and no doubt they would gladly hand me a pile of the pieces they took out at no cost of course.  Recycling is good :)

Around 20 years ago I decided I wanted to learn how to cut small pieces of glass accurately. So I found someone in my area who taught copper foil stained glass as a one-on-one lesson. It was inexpensive as I was not after a full set of lessons in stained glass work. 

A tip for you, the diamond coated burrs used in the Dremel motor can quickly and safely smooth out a rough cut edge on the pieces. Second tip, immediately clean the glass you just cut and your safety glasses in running water. Do not be tempted rub the surfaces until all of the diamond and glass grit has been removed from the surface of your parts and your safety glasses.

Related to thickness of the glass, I now "see" Catherine's post that the glass is .038" thick.  Beautiful.

I saw the Lawbre options on their website a couple of days ago.  Mrs. L, I am glad that this forum post came into existence, as I am thrilled to have a need to do some custom built windows myself, and when talking with my husband about the miniature project I think he is in favor of glass, so I'm likely to be placing an order soon, after the windows are built... 

I'm being optimistic... soon is, after the Holidays and the job slows to a normal schedule!

Thanks - Tamra

Karin, I think you are telling us to rinse the glass and our safety glasses before rubbing, so we do not scratch the glass or safety glasses.... Excellent advice, and I like your recycling idea too, and while I was trying my theory to practice cutting glass with my own broker Cell Phone glass, I did not think of trying to get recycled thin glass from this resource.

This forum is much fun!

I am so grateful to everyone for great suggestions and help.  I found the thinnest piece of scrap glass in our basement, and practiced cutting it with fair success--not perfection, but not bad for a first attempt.  As soon as my glass comes from Lawbre, we'll see how I do on cutting thinner pieces....

Tamra, good luck to you on finding time.  I've recently retired, and I still don't get as much done as I would like....

Isabel

• 2 years later...

I tested the dollar store photo frame glass today and it does fit inside a Houseworks Slim Double hung window sash - perfectly.  I bought 3 pieces of 11x14 glass and I think I have 1.5 the amount I need to make my windows for the Lawbre Shadow Cliff.  I will attempt to go to the store again and add more to the supply inventory and will measure the glass with micrometers and report to the FMF.  Next I will try oil and a cutter to see if I can still cut glass; its been a while since I've done any stained glass, and this is substantially thinner.  I think it measures 1/16" of an inch though with my fractional (inexpensive) calipers that I keep on my desk at work.

Next I will order some of the window supplies from Northeastern Scale Lumber and will do some more tests to see if the picture frame glass works.  It would also be fun to try and slump some of this very thin glass in a kiln.

• 2 weeks later...

I used calipers on the glass and the dollar store glass is 3/64" thick.  Hopefully I will be able to see if this glass is still available locally, soon, but want to try score and cut it before  I stock up.