1:12 Scale Shetland Pony

CollieFeathers

Working on a 1/12 scale Shetland Pony. Will post progress photos. Equine miniatures are a specialty but this is the first one I've done 100% from scratch and felted. Having a lot of fun with him. I have visions of paring him with a porcelain child doll. He is 3 inches at the shoulder.

shetland2igma.jpg

shetland3igma.jpg

Hi GiseleH - Thanks so much. The armature is made of pipe cleaners. The hooves and eyes made of polymer clay. Will update the photos soon with the polymer clay eyes.

Perhaps I'm not the only child who wanted a pony, so getting one in miniature would be fun... I have never tried felting, but It will be fun to watch your progress... we had a demo at our miniature club once. 

My cousins had horses, so I did get to fulfill the need to learn to ride a horse... wonderful memories, and now that I look back, I realize I am lucky that I didn't have the chores that went with the ownership.  

Yes a 3" porcelain doll would be a nice addition!

The pony has gone to a big fiber fair in North Carolina. He is entered in the needle felted 3D sculpture contest. Hope he does well.

It is fun to see you try different mediums and your success.  I hope the Shetland does well at the Fair too.  There is a Fiber Fair in NC?  What is the name of the event?  We were just talking about the big woodworking and/or furniture shows in NC, as my husband attended the show once... woodwoorking & fiber, would be an excellent weekend adventure.

1 hour ago, Mrs. L. said:

He is charming, and his expression is so pensive and kind.  He will be glad to have a child companion!  What are his hoofs made of?

Thank you! Going to start his little boy soon. His hooves and eyes are polymer clay.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 2:56 PM, CollieFeathers said:

Finished Shetland Pony.

shetlandpony8igma.jpg

shetlandpony9igma.jpg

Wow that is beautiful! I didn't know felting could look so realistic and well I am in awe. Great job!

Archived