Miniature Book Society

Debora Beijerbacht

A great addition to any grand house is a library and that brings you to the issue of how to fill them with books. You can make mock up rows of books, but if you're like me, and want to do it the 'right way' you can't ignore The Miniature Book Society.  Their site holds a list of publishers dedicated to the smaler scales, so worth to have a look if you think of buying (a few) really neat miniature books. 

http://www.mbs.org

post-10-0-75967900-1398878473_thumb.jpg

I love miniature books, actually I like big books too, my house is full of them. I have a few friends that are in the MBS and they have wonderful collections. One of the next pieces I am planing on making is for them and has to do with books. This is a whole other area in the miniature world and possibly one of the oldest, people have been creating miniature books for many hundreds of years!

Also in tool chest thread you posted a tool chest for traveling, I have a tiny full scale machinists chest made to fit in ones pocket in the shape of a book, it was carved from mahogany and inlaid, the guy made it in 1903 but didn't sign it? So we'll never know who's it was.

Sometimes I feel like the real books are taking over my house, I keep on running out of bookcases ;-)

On the subject of miniature books, I own two of Barbara Brear's books and they are simply amazing, she has them specially printed on fine paper on both sides with some beautiful illustrations thrown in, they are hand stitched like a real book and bound in thin leather with gorgeous marbled endpapers.

http://bbminiatures.homestead.com/

There are some really neat books on her home page, also have a look at her fully printed books and she also has some open books for that special setting, enjoy.

Guess we're all book minded then. They are awesome resources in many ways... And books have been around for so long already they were amongst the first to be subjected to the irresistible nature of mankind to scale down the world around them.

I once did a blog post on the Biblitheca Thurkowiana Minor, that was thankfully saved in it's complete state from the legacy of the collector/maker Guus Thurkow. 

Here's a little video of him and his passion, let's hope the forum can facilitate video's in postings?  

The video worked great for me, thank you for posting this Debora, I enjoyed watching it, the library is so cool. I really liked the wooden books with wood samples, I would like to make something like this with samples of the rare South African wood I have stumbled across, found two on Friday with fine closed grains that is perfect for miniature furniture, the one looks just like 1:12 scale oak.

Archived