Hi,

I've been reading a lot about the recent interest in CNC machines and how these can be used to make miniature furniture and have found some varied points of view both for and against using such a technique. I recently decided to take the plunge and buy a Stepcraft machine and I love it! I cannot say that one can use just this machine in isolation, but if used in combination with other tools like my Preac saw and even some simple hand tools like a miter saw and and x-acto knife, one can create some decent pieces of miniature furniture.

Does this technique actually save time? In general, sadly not, however, the added precision more than makes up for the extra hours spent. I would say, the time saved in the actual cutting (which is flawless) is spent in designing on the computer and figuring out new ways to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks. I am relatively new at this so am hoping with time and skill this will go quicker, but every step is enjoyable and I approach it with anticipation and love, so I do not mind the extra hours spent. One thing I should mention, is it does save time for in carving and brings in a whole new level of complexity and detail to what one can accomplish.

I thought of sharing with the community my recent pieces comprising a Davenport desk and an Eastlake Secretary. I'd love your feedback and comments.

Thanks so much!

davenport05sm.jpg

eastlakesec05sm.jpg

These are stunning pieces of furniture. The machine sounds like a great tool. Do you use it for the wood parts or the hardware? I'm not familiar with CNC. Oddly, I'm VERY experienced with making computer vector images and files having been in graphic design for years.

1 hour ago, CollieFeathers said:

These are stunning pieces of furniture. The machine sounds like a great tool. Do you use it for the wood parts or the hardware? I'm not familiar with CNC. Oddly, I'm VERY experienced with making computer vector images and files having been in graphic design for years.

Thank you so much Colin, I used it for the wood parts. It cuts accurately and is a dream to use. I love the challenge of merging traditional furniture techniques and trying to achieve these using modern tools. I think the extra time spent doing this, is more than made up for in the precision and accuracy this machine can deliver.

Esther did you purchase a 4th axis CNC and turned the indexed turnings on the CNC too?

The pieces are beautiful... what software are you using?

1 hour ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

Esther did you purchase a 4th axis CNC and turned the indexed turnings on the CNC too?

The pieces are beautiful... what software are you using?

I don't have a 4th axis yet, so I used some careful placement to carve those legs on two sides, i.e. the top and reverse. It looked reasonably good at this point, so I finished it with some sand paper and polishing tools. I use "Aspire", which is absolutely brilliant. Glad you like my work. Thanks :)

(ouch)  Aspire - I'll add that to my Christmas wish list!  I've heard others tell me at the woodworking show we attended in Indianapolis that it is intuitive software... when I can talk to the computer and it creates tool paths for me, then sign me up.  CNCs have been around for decades and I am still mesmerized.  I look forward to your next creation.

22 minutes ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

I look forward to your next creation.

I'm working on a Pennsylvania secretary now and will definitely update the group with photo's once it's ready.

Archived