1/12th Scale Hitty

WeekendMiniaturist

Does anyone make a 1/12th scale Hitty?  I think she is 6.5" in real life, so she would be about 1/2" tall in 1/12th scale, and it seems sooooooo small... so what would the forum members suggest?  I looked at Angel Children dolls too,  when I was at the Chicago International and I purchased a toddler from Heidi Ott.  I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks Elga for the reply... I wonder if it was Eric that had a class at the Chicago International Show... I went to the website, but it has already changed in my user experience today.   You ask a good question, if I want to buy or carve one... I can see myself making the ball joint for the arms of a wooden doll on the lathe, and then using a jewelers saw ... guess I need to get myself to the library or online to study wooden dolls a little first... I'm sure I have some Angel children somewhere in my stash, so perhaps that will fill the immediate need... at least I THINK I remember that I purchased one last year at a local miniature show... from Ron & April Gill.

I am going to get better at keeping a list of my purchases!  

Tamra, Eric Horne is in his 80's I think and semi-retired, so I doubt he was in Chicago. I have seen another artist on Facebook making miniature dolls out of wood but have no recollection of her name now.

80's???  That's young, I think Ferd Sorbol is in his 90's... and he is still traveling to the Chicago International!

On 4/28/2017 at 7:05 AM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

80's???  That's young, I think Ferd Sobol is in his 90's... and he is still traveling to the Chicago International!

Last week when we saw the Sobol's in Chicago, their daughter said he is 93.

Ferd is such a wonderful example for us!  I hope I am still creating miniatures in my 90s if I am blessed with a long life.

Antiques Roadshow - Virginia episode that aired on 5/1/2017 in our area,  had the tiniest jointed wooden doll from Germany and I really like this one... they estimated a value of $1,000+ and I think it was about 1.25"?  I tried to find the episode online, but I haven't been able to find it yet...to post a link.  I mention it, so you may be able to catch the episode in your area.  This seems like it would be challenging to make, just because it is soooooo small.  I wonder if I can carve one .... I've never purchased any steamed pear, I only have basswood and butternut in my stash for carving...

• 11 months later...

Back to my 1/12th scale Hitty quest... I heard through the grapevine on Sunday that a Hitty was scored at the Bishop Show... the only Hitty that I saw at the show was a properly scaled Hitty... I think the 1/12th scale Hitty was at Ela's table, but unfortunately I did not think about this again until this evening, long after the show closed... so if you purchased a tiny Hitty,  could you post that Hitty photo, I would love to know what size she was!  If Ela made her, was she porcelain?

Yes, it was me :)
And it was a wood carved Hitty...

Don't know inches, she is about 3 cm tall

Hitty.jpg

Ela, Oh, she is adorable little doll!  And the knitted jumper with "HITTY" is lovely too.  Thank you for posting a picture of her!

Real Hitty lives at a the Stockbridge, MA Library Museum;  She is about 1.5 hour drive from Hartford, CT if you are in the area for the Guild's show. 

I did the cm to fractional inch conversion, she is so tiny!  I can imagine carving her with longer extensions so I have something to hold on to, while carving; this is most inspirational!

One day I will have to visit the real Hitty!
Actually I just chop the pieces and carve them, nothing to hold on... But I'm not an experienced wood carver, it might be easier that way...

I did get to see her and she is gorgeous Ela, for someone who claims to be inexperienced with carving you did a great job! :) 

A 1/12 scale Hitty would need to be 13mm tall or just over 1/2". That is tiny!

I may try to carve a life size Hitty... but I'm pausing at a 12th scale Hitty measuring 1/2".   If some brave person made her, I think you would loose her in any miniature scene, she would have to be sitting on a book shelf of something with contrast so you could actually see her!

Linda Master makes Hitty dolls and I believe she has also carved them in 1: 12 scale. She is really great at it too!

It is good to see you online Catherine... I wonder if I saw life size Hitty at her table; I wish I had not been in such a daze for this show... hopefully I will be a little sharper for 2018!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I’ll admit it! I bought Ela’s wonderful little Hitty as a Mother’s Day gift for my mother who I refer to as a queen of the Hitty cult. She totally loved her.... her she is being admired by a bunch of Hitty’s..... Mom has a bunch of them.

anyway she has found a perfect home!

F884328F-1D1F-4933-9659-3E5BA358DF9E.jpeg

Thank you for the photo!  I was wondering what I missed... I don't know if it is possible for me to carve my own Hitty.  Tiny Hitty looks wonderful with the Hitty Family.  Ela, should be so proud of her accomplishment!   I will have to check out Esther's blog to see if she has added a new entry.

What are the dimensions of a full size Hitty and what makes it a Hitty as opposed to a regular carved wooden doll? 

http://www.julieoldcrow.com/museum/realhitty/realhitty.html

This webpage gives you real Hitty's measurements, and it is wonderfully specific should someone like to carve her.  I love that they measured her with digital calipers.

It is a great question, "What makes it a Hitty as opposed to a regular carved wooden doll?  

I am not sure of the 'correct answer' to your question, but it is my opinion that the 6.25" height is the first clue that it is a Hitty doll, and she is very recognizable doll, like a Shirley Temple Doll (of my mother's generation) or a Barbie doll of my generation.  Vogue Ginny dolls were a little taller than Hitty, if my memory serves me, but were popular, too.

I borrowed the book, "Hitty, Her First 100 years" from my library.  I should just buy myself a nice copy of the book!

• 3 months later...

image.png

This is truly a delight to see a Miniature Hitty in the class of Tiny Dolls' Dolls.  If you register for Guild School this could be one of your class selections!  

Archived