Miniature Nautical Painting

Ben

This is a copy of a painting by Ludolf Backhuyson "ships on a stormy sea" that I've made recently.  It's oil on a panel and it's about 65mm x 45 mm

IMG_4091.JPG

Ben, I'm enjoying your paintings... it looks much larger then 65mm x 45 mm on my computer screen!  It is displaying on my computer monitor and would be larger then a normal 1/12th size fireplace... so I had to get my ruler out... Congratulations!

Thank you WM. I don't yet know how to set things up for 1/12 size.  I just tape up a gesso board and cut out a rectangle that seems ok and start.  I'm learning as I go.  Perhaps someone could recommend a good book for learning the techniques in painting miniatures?  Accepted standard practice and all that.  

Ben, I am an observer of beautiful miniature objects, not always a creator.... so keep that in mind... if one wants to create a 1/12th scale miniature and the original painting is 12" x 12",  the painting would be 1" x 1" in scale.

A scale of 1" to 1' is one of the most common miniature scales. 

I don't think you need a book to paint miniatures - just let it flow naturally and trust your gut instinct.  Advice I should heed, as I am an expert at over analyzing my own work.

I think I remember you are in the KC area... When the Masterworks Forum is in Kansas City, you can see works of art by Brooke Rothshank , Johannes Landman, Leslie Smith and Phyllis Hawkes, all top artisans today... and I would guess that the The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures Museum would have some paintings in their collections - go visit ASAP if you have not already seen the museum's collection!

AND... if you want to continue formal study of painting in miniature, do check out the classes offered at www.igma.org, click on the tab for Guild School.  I participated in a 12 hour class with Brooke Rothshank in 2014 and enjoyed the class immensely.  I know that Johannes, Brooke and Phyllis have instructed in the past.

Thanks WM.  I've been to the Toy and miniature museum and it's great of course - but I will go again and check for the names you mentioned ( with new eyes).  I'll also check the website you mentioned.  

I don't have any knowledge of the miniature art world - as far as the standard scales, materials. I've seen an organization that seems to reject copying of famous artwork but focuses on creating miniature paintings only of photos taken by the artist.  On the other hand the T & M museum have miniatures of famous paintings.   

Its a bit confusing- I prefer the later.  There's not a whole lot of interesting subject matter to photograph here in the Midwest and I'm not much of a photographer anyway. 

Ben

In the red bar, at the top,you may notice the logo for the International Guild of Miniature Artisans.  Our Guild exists since June 28, 1979 (among many reasons) to promote miniatures as a fine art form.  IGMA is the sponsor of the Fine Miniature Forum... and offers study opportunities with many artisans that are recognized in our world...  Some Artisans can produce excellent Art, and some Artisans can also teach and produce, so that combination of teaching and promoting the work of our artisans has allowed the IGMA to flourish... with learning activities and an annual show each year, where we can purchase from our Artisans.  Guild School is on the top of my list of best learning experiences and best value for an incredibly short week in June each year in Castine, Maine.  (I don't attend each year, but I have been fortunate to attend several times.)  I am a general member of the guild, even though I am not listed on the website as a member.

I haven't been to the KC Museum, yet, so I'm not sure who is represented in the paintings in the permanent collection, but it is my understand that the KC Museum has the largest collection of  William R. Robertson's work... when I visit, I am sure I will be in awe, and am looking forward to seeing Twin Manors with my own eyes.  Bill has many posts in the forum, too.

The Masterworks event is a very special event, and the artists that I mentioned will be selling at the event in September 2017.

Kaye Browning also has an incredible collection in Maysville, KY with exquisite paintings on display, it is worth the effort to get to Maysville, I have visited several times as this museum is closer to home.

http://www.ksbminiaturescollection.com/

If you are new to the field and what to be wowed beyond belief, attend the Chicago International Show (www.Bishopshow.com)  in April and then you can quickly understand the opportunities!

I have two books on the subject in my Library that I think may be good resources for you... perhaps you can borrow them from the inter-library loan system before you purchase them.

How to Paint Miniatures by Robert Hughes and Elizabeth Johnson

Miniature Painting by Joan Cornish Willies

my friends Sue V and Martha in the forum also paint, so I am hoping they can give you more recommendations...

I think I purchased the first book from Hobby Builders Supply and 2nd book was purchased 12/2009 for $13.37 online.

Thank you very much.  I'll check them out.  Here's another copy I've made "Ships in a gathering storm" by Lieberman Verschuier

RenderedContent-925512F4-2CF3-4F0D-B5A3-5A9F89D0946D.JPG

Ben, the penny helps with my perspective issues... are you using oil, watercolor or acrylics?  In my only painting class we used OPEN Acrylics.  And I just remembered a gentleman that used genesis heat set oil paints, Jeff Wilkerson if my memory is working, he was another IGMA artisan, but I haven't seen him at a show for years now...

Yes I'm using oils.  It's actually the water soluble Holbein oil - I have always used.  I'll have to look up Genesis Heatset oil.  I've never heard of.   I'm currently paint on a gesso board - though I'm not sure if this is appropriate because it would cause limitations for framing

I wanted to post another painting.  It's pretty much the size of the previous two

RenderedContent-17458FF4-223A-4129-865B-53A2F1A2F03F.JPG

Hi Ben,

Gesso board... that would require some challenges for miniature frames as I am guessing the board is thicker then commercially available moldings for framing.   The alternative is to make your own moldings for framing your paintings.

The sizes of paintings in printed books are so deceptive... I just saw one of Monet's water lily paintings at the Pittsburgh / Carnegie Museum, and never would have guessed that it was so large, (room size!) 

And... we are missing your signature... is it on the back of the board?  I remind you, so I can remind me; as I'm terrible at signing my own work!

Nice sailboat on relatively calm waters... so how many miniature painting have you painted?

I didn't start out with miniature painting in mind, so I was painting on gesso board (in oils).  I would have liked to have painted large paintings, but I'm just not very good at large scale painting.  Smaller scale things come more naturally for me.  A couple of years ago I was doing very small drawings - copies of currier and Ives prints.  

Yes I don't sign miniatures- that's a trick in itself!

Yes the board isn't really appropriate for miniatures.  I did watch a YouTube video on someone making their own frames.  But if I should continue with miniature paintings I should look to what the experts are doing so that I can get of on the right foot   

I started to check out some of the names you had mentioned- very cool!  It's amazing that someone could paint so well!

Yes - I agree the paintings in books are difficult to judge ( as to the size of the original).  My favorite painting "the night cafe" vangogh is actually pretty big - I saw it last summer.  But Van Goghs " bedroom " is pretty small and I would have thought it to be larger.  

I've made Van Gogh copies, but have moved to other art periods lately.  Oils are great for their intensity and richness but I'm seeing the limitations ( myself that is, I'm not speaking for others ) .now for detail.  It looks as  though water color is popular in the miniature world.  

Thanks for your interest- I appreciate it.  

I'll post a few Van Gogh copies I've made - the clipboard is to show scale ( I also use it to paint them). The first "night cafe" is the finished version

RenderedContent-94A70DC3-E548-4F33-9346-85D4D7179D65.JPG

RenderedContent-20375C2C-A9EA-477C-B26F-A4D7EE122F35.JPG

RenderedContent-A28A7DA3-C121-4478-B11E-E5FA76E063F5.JPG

Archived