Hello from Massachusetts!

Jenni

Hello,

My name is Jenni, and I'm from Massachusetts.  I'm in IT by day, but my evenings/weekends are filled with all kinds of crafty endeavors.  Primarily, I enjoy sewing and needlework (especially if it is 18th-19th century), but also some weaving, knitting, lacemaking, dollmaking and sewing/crafting for dolls, and just about any other craft where I can wield a needle and make things!

I can't remember a time when I didn't have a dollhouse.  At first, I had a small one that my Mom had grown up with, and then one magical Christmas, I received a big, colonial style dollhouse that my Mom and Dad had put together for me.  What a ball I had with it as a kid!  But sadly, it has been sitting in my spare bedroom, collecting dust and wanting for some repairs.  I'd been thinking about it a lot over the past few months, and about how not only should I restore it, but it would be such fun to go back and outfit it properly, with my "grown up" tastes.  In other words, switch out a lot of the old plastic and low quality items for more beautiful, finely crafted miniatures.

So, with that in mind, and with my addiction to making things in general, I've been getting under way with all kinds of crafty adventures for my dollhouse.  I really have fallen down the rabbit hole!  Primarily, I've been needle pointing up a storm.  I got so inspired, seeing all the miniature samplers and carpets out there, that talented miniaturists have stitched up.  As I already know I love needlework, I knew I'd have to try my hand at that!  Currently, I have a little sampler on 40 ct and a carpet on 22 ct under way.  I am having such a ball with these, and find it to be a truly addictive pastime.

I'm also trying my hand at making miniature furniture.  My experience with woodworking is minimal, but everyone has to start somewhere, and to begin with, I'm just making a few simple pieces in inexpensive wood.  Hopefully I'll develop a knack for it, because it would be very exciting to be able to combine my love of tiny needle point with making miniature furniture, to then create some really lovely 18th century style furniture pieces for my dollhouse!

So, I'm very much looking forward to being a part of this forum.  I'm sure I'll learn and be inspired by all the lovely work you all do!

-Jenni

Welcome to the forum Jenni.

I am glad that you introduced yourself and found the FMF.

We have many wonderful needleworkers in the forum, that knit, weave, petitpoint, French knots, etc, etc... I look forward to seeing that sampler and hearing about your progress with your dollhouse and your remodel!  There is so much experience in the forum, if you need to bounce some ideas, I'm sure someone can help you. 

• 1 month later...

Archived