Hello from Portland, Oregon!

Mistyrious1111

My name is Misty and I've been fascinated with miniatures since I was little but never got a dollhouse. A year ago I started collecting miniatures and wondered if I could make my own since so expensive. I started with a banana, then an apple, an orange and soon I had a whole fruit basket! I gave up working with clay awhile and started making miniature vanity sets. My eyes are going bad so after selling all I had made I took a break.

The past few weeks I've been trying to make those realistic mini food dishes and mini clay babies and animals. I'm getting real frustrated because having a hard time getting things like lettuce and sandwich bread looking realistic. Same with babies. Being self taught is slow going and trying my patience! 

Came here hoping to find a few tips and to marvel looking at miniatures at how creative and talented you miniaturists are!

10290635_10152853334290744_1911669484005820828_n.jpg

downloadfile-37.jpeg

picsart_1372103526815-1.jpg

I loved that period of my mini making where I was making perfume bottles from beads... and I'm still purchasing beads on occasion.... don't need any, but guilty of still reviewing the bead selection a few times a year...they are just so pretty!

I'm no help with the clay food and babies... I place both of these in the BUY category.  I cannot recall a book for making babies in scale miniatures... ah... a late night test for my brain... I will have to scan the library and see if I have a suggestion for you.  But...we have a couple of Guild Artisan members that are teaching sculpting in 2017... Jeannie Rullie has an incredible sculpting class at the Guild Show in September, and Daniela is teaching a class at the Chicago International...Daniela sculpts sweet children!  I admire both of these artist creations.

I know you are on the west side of the US, but at least there are a couple of options.  If you are not able to travel for a workshop, Jamie Carrington has a book for sculpting Character dolls, but no babies to my recollection.  Since you are new to the world of minis, do you know about these two shows?

Welcome! 

Welcme to the forum, I am with Tamra, stuff made from clay is on the buy list. Daniella is also teaching how to sculpt an adorable baby at the Guild Show on Friday afternoon.

Archived