Painted furniture finish

Victoria

Asking for help. Just finished painting this set of sofa and to chairs, all painted with oil. They're all matte, and IMHO they look better this way, besides the original set has matte finish too. Any advice on what is the best product to get matte finish? I was thinking of finishing them with wax only, but would this be enough to protect the paint?

30236908360_f38fa96db5_z.jpg

I also have these four Gustavian chairs, the gilded parts are protected with shellac, but the rest is just paint, no varnish, no wax. Same problem for me here.

29629495730_3c0966b705_z.jpg

I use artists flat or matt spray fixative.  I use poster chalk for doing my rust effects on my tin and then spray with the fixative to protect it. When I think it might get heavy handling I use flat clear lacquer spray but it ends up having a slight shine to it.

2 hours ago, Bill Hudson said:

I use artists flat or matt spray fixative.  I use poster chalk for doing my rust effects on my tin and then spray with the fixative to protect it. When I think it might get heavy handling I use flat clear lacquer spray but it ends up having a slight shine to it.

Thank you, Bill. I think I should try this, and I have matte fixative at home!  My only problem was  with the first  set that they have caned seats, that's why I was thinking of wax at first. Usually I finish all my furniture airbrushing shellac. This time I was looking for something different. Though applying lacquer with brush is not the best idea, hm.

I would suggest masking off the cane with frisket paper (used by artists to blank off areas when airbrushing.  I suggest y0u use artist frisket as it is gentler to remove. Commercial frisket used in automotive painting is just too tacky and could do damage when removing it.

Nice work, we have a product in the US by Testors (brand name), a spray called dullcoat. It is a flat lacquer made for plastic molders. It can mess up things real bad if you spray it on too heavy being lacquer. I have been using the stuff for nearly 50 years! The sad thing is being an aresol can you can't take it on a plane. Maybe some hobby shop in Europe carries it however I know products in spray cans that are common here are next to imposiable to find in some EU countries. There must be an equivalent.

Thank you for your suggestion!

So far I've tried fixative and matte varnish for oil paintings, and good old Shcminke matte varnish gave the best results, super matte surface. I knew they were making the best pastels and watercolors out there, but this product surprised me.  I'll try it with airbrush tonight, we'll see what happens.

Schmincke Watercolor is one of my favorite brands! I'll have to look for the matte varnish. Thanks, Victoria, and great work on the furniture. It is really lovely! 

Martha

Archived