Drill Press

Gerry Bacsik

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since i've posted. Thought I would share a little of what I'm working on in the workshop.

A 1/4 scale of a German DRGM bench top drill press.

The process started as an Ebay purchase.  

From the original I took detailed measurements & made 3D drawings on my computer. From these drawings, I created an .stl file. When that was done I emailed away the file for printing.

I like to use the Solidscape 3D printer. Unfortunately, the printer is a little out of my price range hence the reason for me contracting the printing process out. 

A week later I received the printed parts & proceeded to cast them using the lost wax method.

The parts were cast in silver. From that point I proceed the assemble the pieces. Drilling & threading the pieces. Making thumb screws (thanks to Bill Robertsons wood planer class) Then turning & knurling a working pin vise chuck.

I will try to add pictures. Hopefully you will be able to open the link?

#B0SGZYbYHGbHw2t  

Impressive!  

What is the layer thickness of the Solidscape printer?  How much did you have to clean up those parts to be able to mold/cast them?

On 08/10/2016 at 4:36 PM, oz9ny said:

Hi Niels, I did print one in 1/12 scale & thought it was too small. The original is very small to begin with. 

4 hours ago, MeezerMama said:

Impressive!  

What is the layer thickness of the Solidscape printer?  How much did you have to clean up those parts to be able to mold/cast them?

Models can be built with varying thickness of one half thousandth, one thousandth, one and a half thousandths, two thousandths, and three thousandths of an inch. As for cleanup, there is non. The pieces printed very clean. If there is one downfall the print material is very brittle, & dries out over time.

Super cool! That is a great job Gerry.

it looks so real, even the cast texture looks to scale. Now for the hard part, does the Chuck have working jaws?

Thanks for posting it.

Bill

On 08/10/2016 at 11:57 PM, Guy Gadois said:

Models can be built with varying thickness of one half thousandth, one thousandth, one and a half thousandths, two thousandths, and three thousandths of an inch. As for cleanup, there is non. The pieces printed very clean. If there is one downfall the print material is very brittle, & dies out over time.

1 hour ago, Wm. R. Robertson said:

Super cool! That is a great job Gerry.

it looks so real, even the cast texture looks to scale. Now for the hard part, does the Chuck have working jaws?

Thanks for posting it.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I made a pin vise to emulate the chuck. It does work but needs some fine tuning. It was a quick assembly before my trip to Europe in Sept.

• 2 weeks later...

Gerry,

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:21 AM, Gerry Bacsik said:

From the original I took detailed measurements & made 3D drawings on my computer

What is your software of choice for your 3D drawings?  You mentioned that you would like to use a solidscape 3D Printer, and I see that these printers are used to print with wax, for the lost wax casting method.  Did you outsource to someone that had a solidscape printer?  Or did you use another brand printer.

Your results look great; it may be the only silver drill press in existence....

I use Rhino 3d Software to draw up the parts. The software was originally Mac based, hence my decision to go that route. It is now compatible with PC .

Besides using Solidscape, I did try using the Formlabs printer. The build quality was very good, but there was considerable cleanup of the support material, before casting. With Solidscape there is no cleanup. The parts are ready for casting.  I used 3d Hubs to find a printer in my area for both Solidscape & Formlabs. 

Formlabs build was $20. Solidscape was $100. The drawing was saved as a .stl file. That file was then emailed to the printers. A week later I had the parts in my hand. 

I did hire the build out to mitigate cost of having to buy a printer. Solidscape sells for around $30,000. Formlabs around $5000.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived