Albion Precision metals

ElgaKoster

I am in Cape Town at the moment and went to a railroad hobby shop this morning because I needed to get a 1/8" brass rod, while in the shop I come across a British brand of metal tubing, rods etc, they have some extremely small sizes that I haven't seen before and thought might be of interest to some of you. They have products available in brass, copper and silver nickel.

I am not able to get the website to load for me right now, so just google Albion Alloys and here is a link to another website that shows some of their products.

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/model-paints/model-tools-and-materials/albion-alloys/?page=1

Elga, I'm glad that you found a good supplier in South Africa.  At least you do not have to wait for the postal system to deliver your package.

Prices seem slightly better in comparison to K & S Metals here in the States until I add VAT.  However, I would be relieved to find the inventory locally, even here in the US where I live.  We are so fortunate to have K & S metals as our supplier.  Here is a price list for reference purposes.  

http://www.ksmetals.com/resources/Price+List.PDF

I just purchased some metal supplies from HobbyTown USA at their Indianapolis store, and some supplies at Hobby Lobby, too.  It is so nice to be able to see the items you are purchasing before you buy them, so I will continue to purchase from retailers if possible.

It is good to know that there are other European options if we need a special dimension of metal.

Tamra, a lot of hobby shops here in South Africa stock K and S steel and it s the brand that I know best. I have a special project that I am planning and finding the very small 0.2mm silver nickel was a good find indeed.

From my previous experience from ordering from England you shouldn't have to pay VAT. I am not required to pay VAT on any item that I export from South Africa. When I visited the mini shop in New York and mentioned that I was from South Africa they also didn't charge me any VAT.

The question is, if I am physically in the UK will they charge me VAT?  Then it may be less expensive to purchase mulberry silks online, pay the shipping to the US and not pay the VAT.

When I was at the Miniature Store in New York, they definitely charged me sales tax, even though I am not a resident of New York.

So I am assuming if I am physically purchasing something that I have to pay the governor's tax....or tip, or contribution to his/her slush fund.  :)

Thanks, Elga! This is just what I was needing for a project I'm working on. I just placed an order with https://store.spruebrothers.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Albion&Submit=  here in the US. Shipping was around $12 for a $50 order, but no tax was charged. Shipping is free for orders over $200. Their thinnest brass sheet is slightly thinner than I've found elsewhere too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived