Guild School fun from the past.

Bill Hudson

Instructors, DO NOT leave your sweat shirt un-attended in the class room.  My sweat shirt from 1997 was kidnapped and this is what it looked like when it was returned. (actually it was OK with me) I gave it to them for them take out their frustrations on Hump Day. I really enjoyed teaching at the GS.  Most all my students were a joy to know. 

Why Roadkill? After show and tell after graduation, Laura Demio dropped her pedal car fire truck (unknowingly) on the street. The next morning I found it all flattened out.  I made it into a trophy and presented to her as the Road Kill award. The name stuck.

guild - 1.jpg

guild - 1 (2).jpg

guild - 1 (3).jpg

guild - 1 (1).jpg

guild - 1 (4).jpg

Nice to have all the autographs/memories from the past. I made (silk screened) a sweat shirt with a tire track on it and it says "I ran into the street without looking. "

Bill, I remember those early days teaching at the Guild School. So many laughs and crazy moments. You really had to be there to get half the jokes. 

I was much younger in 1997! Oh, how terrible to have your pedal car crushed....  I was just reading about Guild School in an old miniature magazine in the 1990s and I saved the article as I was tearing through and pitching...

I wish we had access to all of the previous classes; I do not know why I want to torture myself, but I've frequently wondered about what I missed!

Thanks for sharing the memory...  Guild School remains my most favorite mini adventure!

Tamra

Oh how terrible the pedal car was crushed! That almost happened to me with the metamorphic sofa I made in Bill R's class. I dropped it on the way back to the dorm after graduation. I was so afraid it would be flattened, but someone found it and it was waiting for me when I went back to look for it. 

Tamra, I'm the same way about the previous classes. I would give anything to take Bill's roller skates class and the Thomas's trailer class. 

Well... if we get to time travel back, I hope Bill Hudson's wheels and Bill Robertson's roller skates were not offered the same year.  That would be my luck.. time traveling and still being in the lottery or having to make a first or second choice!  I think the Roller skates were later... :) so I am hoping I am not conflicted if my miniature genie grants me time travel.

2 hours ago, MissyBoling said:

Bill, do you have any pictures of that pedal car? Not the flat one. ?

It was a pedal car firetruck.  I am sure I do have a picture some where in a box of many other photos that have yet to be sorted out. ;)

My question is what do I do with this? I'm clearing out lots of stuff I have saved over the years. It is a nice memory but takes up a lot of space and does not mean anything to my family. I thought about donating it to the GS auction but doubt it would sell.

9 hours ago, MissyBoling said:

I would give anything to take Bill's roller skates class.

Missy, I share your thoughts about Bill's roller skates class.  He very patiently explained to me that it was the second hardest class he ever taught and hence is not going to be repeated.   

Rats!!

13 hours ago, MeezerMama said:

Missy, I share your thoughts about Bill's roller skates class.  He very patiently explained to me that it was the second hardest class he ever taught and hence is not going to be repeated.   

Rats!!

Oh my, that makes me wonder what his hardest class was! I can't imagine anything harder than roller skates. Bill, please tell. ?

I have seen some pretty crazy stuff sell at that auction... we only need to crazy bidders from the class of 1997 that are feeling nostalgic...  Did they auction off some swarf in 2014 or 2015??

Perhaps it is time to get out the class project list from 1997 and see what can be displayed in the exhibit room to help bidders re-connect with 1997. 

3 hours ago, WeekendMiniaturist said:

I have seen some pretty crazy stuff sell at that auction... we only need to crazy bidders from the class of 1997 that are feeling nostalgic...  Did they auction off some swarf in 2014 or 2015??

Perhaps it is time to get out the class project list from 1997 and see what can be displayed in the exhibit room to help bidders re-connect with 1997. 

Very true. There was a seal made from a Q-tip that went for a lot of money. ?

18 hours ago, MeezerMama said:

Rats!!

I think you are talking about Bill Robertson.  I did not teach roller the skate class.

I think that very cute Q-Tip seal has its own post in the forum... I forgot that it was auctioned at the Guild School Auction and it does bring a smile... however, I don't think it was on my official list where I recorded the amounts.... I like baby seals... maybe Beth will make another one - I wonder if I can afford it though...?

On 5/7/2016 at 7:07 PM, Bill Hudson said:

My question is what do I do with this? I'm clearing out lots of stuff I have saved over the years. It is a nice memory but takes up a lot of space and does not mean anything to my family. I thought about donating it to the GS auction but doubt it would sell.

The Guild School auction is pretty crazy, not at all like the usual type of auctions. A small bag of Cheese Doodles went for $100 in 2009. We are happy to auction off items people no longer need or want. They always go to the good home of a passionate miniaturist. 

Archived