My Other Dream Piece

jaxenro

This is what I am working up to with my campaign furniture a variation on this piece. The two side pieces are packing crates for the chest in the center. The top rail detaches, the chest splits in two, and the feet unscrew. Then the two center chest pieces fit in the two packing crates. The chest itself was usually made from mahogany, walnut, or teak, with brass hardware, and the packing crate/linen presses from black painted pine with iron trim. The doors on the linen press are mahogany which would be covered in transit by another iron reinforced board bolted. That board itself could be converted, using screw in legs, into a desk or table

Here is the overall piece and broken down

Example 01.jpg

Example 02.jpg

And a similar packing crate cover as a table. See how they use show wood inside the table and a rail that fits in the space where it would be bolted over the packing crate. The bottom of the table, which would be outside the crate when bolted on, is black painted pine.

So in the end there would be two linen presses, a desk, perhaps a low table, and a chest of drawers all collapsing and fitting into itself as two packing crates taking up less than 24" x 24" x 45"

Example 03.jpg

Example 04.jpg

Jaxenro, this will be a wonderful miniature project.  Are you going to do this in 1/12th scale?  Do you own the original?

It will be very challenging to do the turnings without a lathe, but I just saw an article in Fine Woodworking where someone was hand carving turnings.

I do hope you will post about your progress with your project.

No I don't own the original wish I did. Yes 1:12 scale. I am using this more as a generic base currently I am doing a smaller oak chest to test all the campaign hardware I am having cast by Shapeways. So I am sort of working my way along with it. I need to buy some more tools as well to make what I need.

There were a few different companies that made chests to the same design. Most became separated from the packing cases so it is harder to see how they all went together but the amount of different styles and the ingenuity of it is amazing. I know Bill Robertson did some chairs in (I think) 1:12 scale that serve as an inspiration to me as well (as many of his pieces do I have seen photos of)

This is Mr Robertson's work, not mine, but it shows what can be done with detachable legs in a small scale. Just amazing

Example 05.jpg

Archived