17th. c. Dutch Strong Box

Wm. R. Robertson

I haven't posted much lately because I have been busy working in the shop. One of the pieces I have recently finished was a copy of a 17th c. Dutch Strong Box. One way to describe this might be 2 1/4" of insanity. I'll show a few photos of the finished box and then some process shots in the shop. Wouldn't this make a great tool chest?

The box has a Bolivian rosewood interior with drawers and secret compartments, the outside is veneered in burl with a pattern similar to oystering with cross banding. About 80% of the exterior is then covered by 13 fancy brasses and edges. The stand was carved in boxwood and gilded by Master miniature carver Lloyd McCaffery'

DSCN1702_zpslurvcufh.jpg

The working lock is double action, locking both the top and drop front.

IMG_0964_zpsxl6qofuv.jpg

DSCN1706_zpstcazvduh.jpg

IMG_0973_zpsrvywusz4.jpg

IMG_0985_zpsqu04yv73.jpg

Here is some of the veneering being glued to lid, all joints are dovetailed or splined.

IMG_1544_zpspzwwd0dg.jpg

Here is the front panel, after veneering the center, the edge was turned round, then edge banded and turned again.

IMG_1532_zpsqraof3ot.jpg

The brasses are first engraved on brass on a Deckel GO from larger plastic patterns, Then these are sawn out by hand with a jewelers saw.

Image%208_zpscqun6h1f.jpg

The edges are made from brass angle with end caps gold soldered in place.

IMG_2627_zps5eyr3m4m.jpg

Then using gravers and fine files the edges are beveled by hand and polished, this took nearly a entire week.

IMG_2642_zpsdfbkwzn6.jpg

These are the compartments for papers, note the tiny sliding latch.

IMG_2655_zpsx89jwty8.jpg

Here are screws driven by a crank that mount the chest to the base or the floor when traveling. Even the blackwood crank handle turns of a screwed in steel stud. I think the thread is about 0.5 mm.

IMG_2600_zpsb69yn1up.jpg

IMG_2601_zpsatmb33dc.jpg

Rolling the hinge pins.

IMG_2557_zpsi9sakhhm.jpg

The parts so far.

IMG_2648_zps9vwm61i8.jpg

Assembly, notice details like the 12 lobbed screw heads and hundreds of brass nails, they are .012"

IMG_2712_zpsvof4pslu.jpg

IMG_2755_zpsocxf6an7.jpg

Even though almost no one will see this, the back is done too with all the detail of the original.

IMG_0963_zpsolwbuunr.jpg

The box is beautiful and it is nice to see the inside of the box.... perhaps another item that defines "Dutch Master".  There is such richness in wood and brass.

but, I really like the clamps!

Impressive work, even by your standards.  Missed seeing this in Chicago.  Didn't have much time to look which is a good thing for a dealer!

Superlatives cannot describe how exquisite this piece is.  And it's even more amazing when you see it in person.  I'm glad I got to see it in Chicago.

It truly is amazing. Lots of jewelers saw work there! What gauge brass did you use? Did you bend the edge pieces after you sawed all the decorative work or before?

It was mind-blowing to see this in progress in Chicago last year. Wish I could have seen it finished this year. Absolutely exquisite!

I missed seeing it too in Chicago ... What a huge amount of hand scroll cutting! Insanity indeed. WOW, amazing---

All I can say is WOW! Once again you have created a masterpiece. Wish I could have seen it in person. Your work makes me feel like a beginner. When is the class for this exquisite piece?? Ha!

Thanks for sharing the build as well, i think i speak for many when i say it's a delight to see it develop and grow from the photo's, into what it is now; superb! No wonder your client is delighted!

Wish I'd seen it in Chicago! Didn't get away from my table much. Will you have it at Guild School for us to drool  over?

On 4/24/2016 at 3:57 PM, Wm. R. Robertson said:

The brasses are first engraved on brass on a Deckel GO from larger plastic patterns, Then these are sawn out by hand with a jewelers saw.

Forum members, ah... another teaching moment from the master miniaturist himself...

I do hope you will consider telling us more.  Is this an engraving pantograph?

On 4/24/2016 at 3:56 PM, Wm. R. Robertson said:

. Wouldn't this make a great tool chest?

A tool chest fit for royalty.... If I were infinitely wealthy and in the moment of imaging what wonderful items to fill the tool chest,  I would want a mini holtzappfel lathe to put inside the tool chest... one that has moving parts please.... but that might be another one of those 10 year projects!

Archived