A discussion regarding Signing your work...

WeekendMiniaturist

I know that each of us should sign our work, and it is obvious you can sign a painting appropriately,  or a chair or sofa, on the bottom... with a pen, etc...I can attach a label to a petitpoint rug or stich my name into the gauze on the back side of the rug.

I do keep a journal of my own projects....

Has anyone used typeset to create a maker's mark?  How does one create a hallmark for silver or brass?  My limited brass machining experience tells me that brass is relatively hard.  Would I heat the metal in order to strike the base with my tiny typeset piece...   Do you use an awl to sign your work?  Its just such a tiny area and the awl and my fingers are 12x too large for writing... subject to having access to a laser, or casting metals and putting the signature into the mold, what are your options when trying to sign a metal piece?  I think using typeset on wood is pretty easy... but metal...?

I was looking at some of my silver this morning, and all of my pieces from Pete Acquisto are marked...

The 25th Anniversary of NAME piece appears to engraved NAME 25... on a non flat surface...amazing if it were engraved, but I think more likely that it was marked in the casting.

Tamra

You can order a stamp with your name on it. You can even send them your signature and they will make you a stamp using that. Google custom made jewelers hallmarks.  I have had mine for many years and can't remember where I got it. You can also make your own out of tool stock by taking the temper out of it and using a file make a simple mark of your own. Then you will have to harden the steel again.

I wanted to cut my name out of a piece of sterling silver to sign a dollhouse with. This I am sure is bigger then what you are looking for.

post-20-0-76020600-1457346876_thumb.jpg

Thanks Catherine for the response.  You clearly have great Jewelers saw control.  I don't see enough space in between your letters to use a file...

I think I  understand that you can take the temper out of steel when it gets (red) hot, it becomes soft for cutting.  Therefore, the reason when we are sharpening tool bits we keep quenching the bit in water so it doesn't lose its temper.   I understand this property of metal.  I don't understand how to mark a piece of hardened metal.  If I make Bill Hudson's oil can, how do I mark the piece of brass.  I guess I can put the oil can in a vice with the bottom side up and scratch it with an awl and initial it.  I can soften the brass and strike it with the typeset and then turn the oil can after the brass hardens again.

Tamra

I do remember that particular dremel tool.  I purchased one so I could engrave my name on my scissors, etc... as I am frequently amazed that with 20 woman in one room, we could all buy the same kind of fiskars scissors.

I will try this!

Thanks -

Tamra

Archived