Roubo Workbench

Victoria

My latest project, Roubo workbench, took several weeks ( about three hours a day if I'm lucky). At the beginning I wanted to make it just as a background for my WIP pics, but after reading and studying Christopher Schwarz books I realised that this project was going to be probably the most exciting. I learned so much, so many techniques (mostly in metalworking) that I even considering making another bench, Shaker style one is my favorite at the moment. 

24438745033_b7b678829c_z.jpgIMG_1482.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

The vises are functional, both made of brass and steel. The clamps made of steel rod too. 

24947200412_ca156b4c12_z.jpgIMG_1542.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

24434647034_f9080cfbc2_z.jpgIMG_1521.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

I think the most challenging part was to make this crisscross mechanism, the arms are made of brass.But everything works smoothly. 

24947189502_8c2c333333_z.jpgIMG_1510.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

24434641624_2be4c95968_z.jpgIMG_1509.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

Dovetail joints were another challenge, because I've never made them so huge :))) 

25065302255_726252bced_z.jpgIMG_1498.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

24434634694_b1ba10fcd6_z.jpgIMG_1491.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

The center slot:

25038953616_2fe56c205e_z.jpgIMG_1460.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

All the metal parts that were made for the bench:

25020245705_5b2a1c5f8d_z.jpgIMG_1097.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

Crisscross being installed:

24652644799_133bb38742_z.jpgIMG_1174.jpg by Victoria, on Flickr

I made lots of photos during the process, so I could show you WIP if you'd like. 

That is fantastic! I love it.

One of my regrets is I had a chance to buy a very nice set of Roubo about 12 years ago for about $ 8,000. It was the best set I have ever seen with wonderful leather and gilt bindings. I do however have a few framed original Roubo plates hanging in the workshop.

Also Chirs Schwarz, Don Williams and the whole lost arts press gang were here in my shop last Sept. for a shop tour, party and burbon tasting. There were about 70 crazy woodworkers and oh my did we have fun!

Did you just make one bench for you or are you going to make some to sell?

Maybe you will have to do a Studley bench, or MJD Tools has a nice one coming up at auction this summer.

Victoria, are you planning to use the bench as a backdrop for marquetry?  I really like the bench dog... did you forge it?  I remember a cold chisel project that we did in shop class when I was in middle school.... it would be very interesting to make the hardware... I also noticed the dovetail joinery on each end of the bench's top.

I went to your website yesterday and was having difficulty reading, but I did not translator software... so I will try again.

Tamra

Did you just make one bench for you or are you going to make some to sell?

Maybe you will have to do a Studley bench, or MJD Tools has a nice one coming up at auction this summer.

Thank you! I was going to use this bench only for taking photos, so probably this one will stay with me. If I'm lucky to try to make one more bench, I'll be definitely selling it. Studley bench, sounds like a huge amount of work and research!:))

Victoria, are you planning to use the bench as a backdrop for marquetry?

Tamra, I think so - I'm planning to make some sort of a roombox for this bench. I think that it will look perfect for WIP.

I really like the bench dog... did you forge it?  I remember a cold chisel project that we did in shop class when I was in middle school.... it would be very interesting to make the hardware... I also noticed the dovetail joinery on each end of the bench's top.

I went to your website yesterday and was having difficulty reading, but I did not translator software... so I will try again.

Tamra

Yep, I had to learn how to forge :) It wasn't that easy, I broke about three clamps :) And the fourth broke down when I was installing it on the bench :)) Dovetail joinery was fun too, quite easy with such size, though challenging - because I couldn't afford making mistakes, gluing workbench top takes huge amount of time.

About my website - my fault, I didn't translate any of the posts about the workbench, but I will do it tonight! It was just a busy week, and I need to finish a video about the bench too.

Victoria.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to translate your posts.  They were interesting.   It's amazing that you made such a beautiful workbench to display your other things.  They must truly be masterpieces.

Archived