Using Sandstone or Alabaster for turnings

WeekendMiniaturist

Nice update Elga, it looks just as I imagined!  I think this is going to be the equivalent of sanding drywall but spinning around at xx rpm on the lathe.  And that is one the reasons I will be turning outdoors with a fan blowing the dust away from me.  I discovered my first respiratory issues when I was sanding my own drywall for my life size bathroom remodel, and I'm much older and cautious now to protect my lungs.   I'm sure you have read this before, but perhaps other folks reading the forum who haven't read about woodturning in the past,  it is common knowledge that (life size project) woodturners  use fans to control the dust, but I just prefer to do this outdoors, so I don't have to worry about cleaning up the dust.

That is my method to my madness.  When you are here in the US, if they do not have the product close to home, if you can carry a bottle of weld bond home with you, it may help you with turning these wonderful products.

No tagua nuts at my local woodworking store - looks like another mail order item for me.  I can imagine tagua is not as dusty.  Am I correct?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elga, I'm happy to see you trying the alabaster. Yes, a dust mask would be a good idea if you are doing this inside. The soapstone will be worse. I had my sculpting table on the back porch after several different places inside didn't work. The chips would fly all over and if I was lucky, a breeze would blow the dust off.

I use my tools just about everyday...there is no ways that I am going to carry them in and out every day...as it is my days are way too short for everything I want/need to do. The vacuum cleaner lives permanently in my workroom. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 9:07 PM, WeekendMiniaturist said:

No tagua nuts at my local woodworking store - looks like another mail order item for me.  I can imagine tagua is not as dusty. 

You can buy all sorts of wonderful turning nuts at Doren's Artistic Woodturnings.   The price lists for nuts is at the bottom of the page.   I don't remember nuts being dusty - but if your tools are dull it smells like roasting chestnuts when you turn.  Not entirely unpleasant ...  

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if any of you friends are members of the Woodworker's Guild of America, but it might be a good resource for some of you.  There are both free and premium videos and tips.  Just found one today that pertains to this thread. The premium videos require a membership fee, but I have found many helpful.  Hope it is proper to post this here.  https://www.wwgoa.com/.../cutting-soapstone-on-the-lathe-003142/. 

Martha in Louisiana

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Talley, Talley's turnings had introduced me to the Woodturning Guild here in the states.  I think it is quite appropriate to post the link in the Fine Miniature Forum... I haven't joined yet... I was just looking at the website before attending the IGMA Guild Study Program and contemplating if I could attend one of the national conferences.  I can't wait for it to warm up around here; it is way too cold for turning alabaster outdoors! 

I am considering this product to see if this could solve my problem...

http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-lathe-dust-collection-system

• 4 months later...

I just received my order of tagua nuts from Doreen's artistic turnings.  I bought the large ones, and I think they are large enough to turn a vessel in miniature, and perhaps a short hat stand... this is going to be fun.  So how do I mount this on my lathe? I have the 2" face plate and If I cut the end of the nut off, so it is flat to mount to the face plate, I'm going to lose height for a hat stand.  How long of screws do I use to mount this to the 2" face plate?  Or do I mount them in a 3 jaw chuck?  

I just bought a smaller spur center from Penn State Industries for my jet mini lathe; will see if I can turn on the jet mini lathe.

Update:  I found a youtube video that explains how to mount the tagua nut.  What did we do before youtube?

Archived