South East Asia

nanony861

Am thinking of heading that direction for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm drawn to seeing Malaysia but not sure if there are other countries more worth seeing eg Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/etc. Really want to see good scenery, rainforests, rivers, temples. 
Has anyone travelled a bit over that direction. Would be interested to hear any feedback on countries you enjoyed most or any sights you'd recommend                                                                                  implantImplant Nhân Tâm đầu tiên tại Việt Nam đã thực hiện thành công ca phẫu thuật cấy 2 implant zygoma ở vùng răng sau và phục hồi răng ngay tức thì cho bệnh nhân có xương hàm trên bị tiêu trầm trọng.

Hi, a relative of mine visited Vietnam and Thailand last year and really enjoyed it. If you want to see temples, there are over 400 of them in the Bangkok area alone. From my personal experience, I would highly recommend Japan.Kyoto is especially beautiful with temples, gardens and shrines. They have the Kiyomizu Buddhist Temple in eastern Kyoto and the Kinkaku- ji Temple of the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto.I would also recommend Todaiji Temple in Nara, the Great Buddha of Kamakura and Himeji Castle in Tokyo.There is so much history there, wonderful people, clean and safe to travel. Happy traveling, Gail

If you go to Japan, you may want to contact Leni & Tom Bishop as they hosted a mini shows in Toyko.  Perhaps they can give you tourism recommendations.  Hiroyuki & Kyoko Kimura teach at Guild School, and I have spoke to Hiro during the open house; the Japanese Miniature Guild has a mini show too... so If I were traveling to Japan I would want to time my trip to catch the mini show.    You can find Hiro's email address on the Guild's website - look for members, business & members websites. He is, in my opinion fluent in understanding me in a conversation, and I think with all the translation software, that he may be a good resource for you to find out if the Japanese Guild is hosting a show in 2016.

If you have any interest in costuming, there is a Fashion Institute In Kyoto, Japan.  In 2014 Guild School, Jane Davies taught a Belle Epoque Edwardian Gown that lives at the Kyoto Fashion Institute, so If I were going to Japan this would definitely be on my list... Kyoto is 7th largest city in Japan with about 1.5 million people.

We visited Taiwan in 2010... There is a miniature museum in Taipei with many items from US and UK artisans.  Lots of temples... just like we have a lot of churches.  My Mom wanted me to visit the Temple of 1000 steps - which we did - beautiful views;  I didn't count the steps....normal tourism activities...  We used the High Speed Rail for travel and I would prefer the rail over the buses.  Traffic seemed the same in Taiwan as is here in our large cities... so the Train seemed to be the most efficient way to travel.  We used taxis and the drivers had translation services, so we would speak to the translator, and magically I got everywhere I wanted to go.  I also had everything printed before I left the states and of course took my travel guide with me.

While I travel frequently in the US without my husband, I was really glad that he went with me to Taiwan - it is very strange being in a country where you are not a native speaker; I contemplated hiring a translator to accompany us - but we managed...

Tamra

The Japenese Guild does have a website and if my interpretation with the help of Google translate is correct then it looks like they are having their show on 14 and 15 May 2016 in Osaka, on Saturday from 11am to 5pm with a preview for guild members from 10-11am and on Sunday from 10am to 4pm.

http://www.japan-guild.org/show/show2016osk.html

And if you go to Japan, don't forget to to eat ramen noodles! ha yummmm ! Every region has its own variation. In additon, if you get to Taipei, Taiwan, a must-see is The National Palace Museum which houses an astounding collection of ancient Chinese imperial artifacts and artwork. gail

Archived