Fakes.

Bill Hudson

It has been brought to my attention that several of my carriages are listed on E-Bay. What I saw was several broken carriages none of which look familiar to me. One in the back ground looks kind of like a low cost buggy I made for a local store but if so the wheels have been changed. He ordered three but only paid for one. I sold the other two at TAMS. From about 1987 1989 there was a person (I never did find out who) sold junky carriages (at small shows) attributed to me even to the point of scratching my name on them. This is probably some of them. If these are attributed to me they are fakes.

NOTE: I have confirmed that the one in the background is one of my cheap economy models built in the 80s. 

Post the eBay link or item number so we can see what you are talking about, thanks.

She has ended the listing.  Her names Olga   listing under e-Bay store named  iluvedolls.  I feel she is sorry and is trying to work with  me now.

It was very nice of Olga to mail the buggy back to me.  I really appreciate that.  It is in fairly good shape except for damage in several places but the body is good as wells the paint and upholstery.  This was my attempt to offer a good quality carriage for a low price. The construction and paint was high quality but not as much small detail as my regular carriages. I also  used plastic wheels which I turned wooden hubs for and had rubber tires.  Not having to build four wooden wheels from scratch cut a lot of time off the price. This turned out to be a bad idea I should not have lowered my standards.  I believe this buggy was sold at the guild show in 1985, my first Guild show.

​I am questioning whether I should restore this or just keep at as is.  To restore would mean making four wood wheels  (the plastic wheels I used are not available now), taking it apart and straightening the undercarriage, repairing or rebuilding the pulling shafts. If I go to that much trouble then I just as well add the full details but then it would not be an economy buggy. Still it would be a very nice buggy. I do not have any of my buggies or carriages from the past  in my collection.

post-35-0-96429900-1449545235_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-69045200-1449545246_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-05059800-1449545258_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-75843200-1449545266_thumb.jpg

I'm glad that it isn't a "fake" Hudson Carriage.  In either situation, keeping it or selling it, you should do what pleases you the most.  Perhaps if it has come back to you, so you and your family will have the opportunity to enjoy this piece.

If in the process there are lessons for the forum members to learn that you want to share in the restoration, we will be watching!

Tamra

It is unlikely that in the near future this buggy will be restored.  I wanted it back because I am not fond of the idea of some one else "fixing it up."  I will leave it packed in its box and keep it with several other unfinished carriages. 

Maybe put a jack or a log under the missing wheel as if they have gone to repair it and put it up on your shelf. This way you get to enjoy it without having the distraction of extra work to fix it.

Archived