New home made tool.

Bill Hudson

Since my workbench space is limited I do not have room to have extra vises on it.  I was repairing and cleaning up my bench pin (bird's mouth) I came up on an idea to incorporate a small wood vise on the back side of it. Still some kinks to work out but it works fine as is. I will be starting a wooden lock box and this will (hopefully) help in cutting dove tails for the box.

post-35-0-99635900-1447906945_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-78170700-1447906960_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-62599600-1447906971_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

That would be handy to have for small workshops. Especially if it can be made to flat pack quickly so it could be stored in a drawer or other small amount of space.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely appreciate the application of this add-on to my V-Block.  What kind of hardware is this?  Is this an OEM Part or a Bill Hudson custom hardware piece?  If it is a custom piece, the weld looks nice and tidy from my view.

Winged screws are kinda expensive and evidently kinda rare in my neck of the woods... and definitely not in my online inventory search at my local big box stores...Did you solder a piece of steel on a straight slotted screw or bolt?  

Tamra

:rolleyes: You guys are making this too complicated. This is just a 1/4" carriage bolt put in from the back side.  The wing nut is just a plastic knob with a threaded male insert. I only used it because it is what I had on hand. A regular simple wing nut would suffice and they usually cost about 50 cents at a hardware store. Use a washer under the wing nut to make it easier to tighten.

Oh,,, that's what it is.  I've looked at the original photo many times.  and could not figure that piece of hardware out.  We have those wonderful plastic handles pieces in the local stores..... and I've replaced those annoying hurt my fingers wing nuts with the plastic handles on my needlework stand.

Thanks - Tamra

That's exactly what I thought Bill. First off wing nuts are readily available, even knobs are not that hard, think Woodcraft. I know my Do It Best has tons of wing nuts, but so does any other hardware store. It does not however have (black plastic) knobs. 

And speaking of Do It, I use double sided carpet tape so frequently, and I like Scotch, but Karin, when you were saying the Do It Best brand was superior, *and* me always being on the lookout for a better tape, *and*  me having a Do It right in town next to the food store, well I went looking for it and they looked at me like I was growing a 3rd head..... Never heard of it. So we went to the computer and checked the warehouse and they never heard of it. So my question is where do I get it???

At Lowe's.com search for "Hillman Group Replacement Knob".  $2.82 at my local store. 

These kind of knobs are in my local Menard's and Lowe's inventory.  I always go to Home Depot last, so I don't know their inventory as well.

At Rocklers.com, search for plasic Knob, 2" T Knob $1.99.

www.woodcraft.com has 4 T knobs... $1.30 to $2.50 with various threads.

Sorry Bill that I couldn't decipher the hardware... I am transitioning my contact lens...and In the various combination of lens that I have been using since the first of the year, I could not figure out the hardware you used.

Tamra

That's exactly what I thought Bill. First off wing nuts are readily available, even knobs are not that hard, think Woodcraft. I know my Do It Best has tons of wing nuts, but so does any other hardware store. It does not however have (black plastic) knobs. 

And speaking of Do It, I use double sided carpet tape so frequently, and I like Scotch, but Karin, when you were saying the Do It Best brand was superior, *and* me always being on the lookout for a better tape, *and*  me having a Do It right in town next to the food store, well I went looking for it and they looked at me like I was growing a 3rd head..... Never heard of it. So we went to the computer and checked the warehouse and they never heard of it. So my question is where do I get it???

It is thin carpet laying tape. Stores change labels and sources of products all the time so that could have happened since the last time I purchased the tape.  Don't get the thicker kind of carpet tape as it is harder to clean off and not  as stable because of the extra thickness that would allow the part to wiggle a bit. 3M brand is usually a reliable choice for good quality adhesive tape.

My friend Don prefers using Scotch 410M double sided crepe paper cored masking tape but that can be truly difficult to find in local stores. I ordered him some through Amazon a couple of years ago and I see that it is still available today through Amazon as single rolls.

Thanks for the info Karin. I like Scotch and 3M, I was just wanting to see if there was something better out there. Maybe I'll give  this 410M a try.

Thanks for the info Karin. I like Scotch and 3M, I was just wanting to see if there was something better out there. Maybe I'll give  this 410M a try.

Scotch is one of 3M's trade names.

I know that they're the same--- just mentioning what was written on the rolls I liked. I've had some that sucked so I save the cardboard and try to get the exact same thing. Even a Scotch roll (other tapes too) or 3M roll you can then tell if they changed because that almost always means they've cheapened it and time to look for new. Ergo, the whole discussion of Do It brand which doesn't exist.

Sorry Bill I was talking about how readily available wing nuts are at hardware stores, Do It in particular. And as an aside mentioned that the Do It brand of tape does not exist. 

Archived