Miniature Bridgeport Mill (working!)

MeezerMama

Oh my...I wish somebody will take a video of it, showing how the parts move. Anyone know why he chose 1:14 scale, is it a scale that is used in any other hobbies?

I couldn't imagine any possible reason for 1:14 scale and I wondered the same thing.  I only came up with two possibilities ....   a (very) small number of RC models are 1:14, and according to Wikipedia, "1:13.71 - Model railway scratchbuilders’ scale at 78″ to a foot, commonly used with 45 mm gauge track to represent 2′ gauge prototypes."

My guess is that someone else had made a 1:12 Bridgeport model and he wnted his model to be the smallest working Bridegeport and thus chose 1:14.

This is the most amazing miniature! WOWWW  I can't believe it. Did you see the tiny drill press?

Linda

You can view this miniature Bridgeport in person at The Joe Martin (of Sherline products) Foundation Museum in Carlsbad, California. I highly reccomend a visit here if you are ever in Southern California. The Sherline factory is close by. You can tour the facilities and they have a showroom with their products. You can try them out and they will answer any questions you have. gail

I would like to add that our very own Wm Robertson was honored with "Metalworking Craftsman of the Year Award" for 2015 by the Joe Martin Foundation. No small feat! Congratulations! gail

Gail, thanks much for the info about the Joe Martin Foundation Museum.   I was not aware of it (hard to believe) and I'm sure there are unbelievable things to see there. 

You're welcome, Chris. Joe Martin wrote a book called Tabletop Machining and it profiles many engineers and machinists behind the many miniature "marvels" at the museum ( and, of course their use of Sherline tools). The really neat thing is that everything in the museum "works" - from tiny aircraft engines to model cranes , boats, etc. Some of the older gentlemen (probably retired machinists) hang around the museum and you can talk to them. They are really interesting. gail

Archived