How do I make a Wooden Screw?

WeekendMiniaturist

I have been trying to decide if it is worth investing in a tap and die with a bigger pitch than the normal standard pitch. At the moment my biggest tap and die is 2mm, this morning I decided to do a quick test run and see if I could tap and thread a wooden screw with a nut, I pretty pleased with the result, I followed Niels advice and turned the outside diameter just a tad smaller.

image.jpg1_zps3bnjbiwa.jpg

You are on to something Elga. I have used nuts as dies for brass and aluminum.  I cut slots across the threads with a course jeweler saw blade to act as teeth and to clear swarf.

Bill, I meant making a wooden nut with the tap, (I know it doesn't look like a nut, this was just a test, when I make the actual item it will have turned wood nuts) I used a normal die for making the wood screw.

• 4 months later...

Karin, great link for this topic.  It was fun to watch Roy describe the molecules of steel when he is making the cutter.  I saw my Marples screw box & tap last night - someday I want to make a life size needlework stand with wood screws for the adjustable portion of a rectangular frame, but I would also like to make a miniature one.

This video was very helpful ... but I didn't catch the kind of wood dowel he was using for the wood screw.  Did anyone else catch it?

I know he was using maple handle to cut the external threads, but not sure of the wood he was using for the dowel.

Tamra

Tamra you will just have to watch the two episodes he did on how to make the ball and socket embroidery hoop stand to find out what woods were used for the original and for his reproduction project. Actually he talks about what the wood is in the first minutes of part 1.  It is interesting to see the tools and techniques of the project done in full size including that wooden screw making.

Its not the complete video of the subject, part 2 is unfortunately just a duplicate of the part 1 video.  The program was episode 6 of season 14 from 1994

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365015293/

The next episode in season 14 was where he built a scale model of a Welsh Cruck framed barn. Just the timber framing part of of the building.

I think Glenn Kenderson (Canada) makes this needlework stand in miniature.  I have always liked the life size needlework tabletop stand that is in one of Beth Russell's Books... perhaps in her victorian needlework book; this is the one that speaks to me for making life size wood screws, but I never work on a table when I stitch, I always stitch with a floor stand, or "in - hand"... so I haven't decided...  My needlework stand is one of the current metal stands with all of its modern conveniences and strength - but I think I would love one that is wooden instead as my needlework stand seems to be a permanent part of my living room decor.  Its hard to make the decision, but the good news is if I make it myself I can customize it for me... for the width of the chair that I use and the height that I stitch at...

I think the stand in Roy Underhill's show is quite doable in life size scale - and we have a lathe large enough to turn the spindle - I wonder if I could use a basket handle for the bent U part....  I just prefer a rectangular shaped frame instead of the round frame...

Here in the US we have makerspaces popping up everywhere - and I'm thrilled that we have one locally, so I'm planning a visit to see what they are up to...  I know our local makerspace has woodworking. So if you have that kind of opportunity in your neck of the woods, you can use the equipment for a fee.

Tamra

Part 2 worked fine for me, he did repeat one or two things but it definitely wasn't the same as part one, thanks for posting this Karin, I have heard of him before but didn't realize I would be able to watch the videos from South Africa,often if you are from another country you can't watch some of the tv stations programs. I also learned a lot and will bookmark the website to watch some of the other episodes.

Here is the link for part two, btw I would love to try that ball and socket in miniature, that was way cool!

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365015301/

Part 2 worked fine for me, he did repeat one or two things but it definitely wasn't the same as part one, thanks for posting this Karin, I have heard of him before but didn't realize I would be able to watch the videos from South Africa,often if you are from another country you can't watch some of the tv stations programs. I also learned a lot and will bookmark the website to watch some of the other episodes.

Here is the link for part two, btw I would love to try that ball and socket in miniature, that was way cool!

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365015301/

I had taken the time to write to them yesterday to let them know it was not the right video. I am glad to see they got right on it an put the correct film in the place of the wrong one. Now I can enjoy it too and I learned what wood he actually used for the screw....persimmon. Now that was a total surprise I would have never guessed if I had tried to do so. Not a tree that is seen very often in Seattle.

Actually it is Glen Anderson of Keenderson miniatures. I believe his mother had a full size loom and he made it in miniature. He makes wonderful furniture. If I'm not mistaken the name Keenderson is a combination of his and his wife's name.

Elga, the linen press is beautiful. I'm sure if anyone can figure it out, it will be you.

Tamra and Linda, yes Glen Anderson's business name is Kenderson. He made needlework paraphernalia for Bobbie Schoonmaker the last few years if her life. I bought a fire screen and needlework stand directly from him a couple of years ago at a time he wasn't selling to Joy. It wasn't a pleasant experience as it took me 11 months to get the items despite telling me 3 times he had shipped them when he hadn't. He now has all these items linked from his website to the Microstitchery site but Joy only has a few of the items in stock and not the one Tamra likes. He was at Chicago last year and is suppose to be back again. If he had something you like there, I'd say go for it. If you order it from him, you better be patient.

Sorry about missing the Glen @ Kenderson Minis...  but Glen has my table top needlework stand from Beth Russell's book in items he is offering?  I'm glad forum members correct this.  I didn't look it up since I can't cut and paste, and I don't like all the energy it takes to type URL(s) correctly.

I think with the correct size tap & die, I should be able to make the Beth Russell stand in her book in miniature for myself.  I have the morris set for minis that Bill Hudson posted, but I haven't purchased any other tap & dies to try to use for mini wood screws.  I want to reserve this set for metals.

We went to our local wood store yesterday to look for boxwood so I could try to use my marples wood box set, and no luck; they did have some holly, but no boxwood - so it is back to shopping online.

Tamra

As far as I can see Glen doesn't make the tabletop stand Tamra, I got curious and pulled out my Beth Russel books, there are photos of the stand in two of her books, Traditional Needlepoint and William Morris Needlepoint. I have seen quite a few in my Google searches as this is something that I would also like to make.

And for those who don't have the books and are curious to see the stand, it is on Beth Russell's homepage.

http://bethrussellneedlepoint.com/pages/beth-russell

Why do you want to reserve the tap and die set for metals only Tamra?

a) The little single replacements  are expensive to replace directly from Morris. and their shipping is outrageous to ship something that is so small, and weighs so little.   so if I break one it would make me nuts and I would have to go find a replacement.

B) I don't really know the tolerances of these little taps & dies, so using this set for the purpose it was intended, to cut metals, seems a conservative way for me to manage my tool costs....  my last instructor indicated caution was required because the items we were using can be broken when we were making metal screws of brass.  Since this set is much smaller and appears more 'delicate' then what we were using in GS, I think a gentle hand is required instead of my cranking on some piece of wood with them for curiosity sake...

So I will still buy some tap & dies elsewhere for wood cutting, even though not necessary; the shipping cost for replacement from the jimorrisco is not conducive to my budget, and the reason why I waited to find a set in the secondary market.  I love auctions.

Tamra

Archived