17th Century Hemskirk Style Dutch Candlestick

ElgaKoster

I have been busy all week preparing kits for a class I am teaching this Saturday at our club the Academy of South African Miniaturists. Since we only have two lathes to use and eight students we had to be creative in thinking how to present this class, we will do it over two Saturdays and split the students up, one half will do the candlestick while the other half will make a little fretwork candle sconce, my friend and the chair lady of our club Lisa Martens will teach that part of the class and next month the students will swop to the part they haven't done.

I also decided to only demonstrate cutting the brass into sections with the cutter and only let the students do the graver work since for all of them it will be their first time doing brass turning.

I started with the top half of the candlestick that is turned from 4mm brass, the smallest they manufacture here in SA now. I started with the hole for the candle and turned a small indentation to help me with a starting point for measurements when I put it back in the collet to turn it from the other end.

image.jpg5_zpsxid6wkh6.jpg

The other two parts for the candlestick were roughly turned from 10mm thick brass to fit into the 4mm collet for final turning and graver work.

image.jpg1_zpsewv8acit.jpg

See how close you can get to the headstock with the work securely held in the collet.

image.jpg2_zpscspboya1.jpg

By the way, the cutter I am using here is still the one I bought from Bill Robertson in the brass bed class, it has been sharpened a few times.

All the pieces ready for graver work, the middle piece is a drip tray for the wax, the students will also learn how to tap and make a screw thread.

image.jpg3_zps9qwrw0s5.jpg

And a photo of the candle sconce my friend is teaching, most of the students haven't done this fine fretwork before, so I think they are all going to learn lots of new techniques.

image.jpg4_zpse7ahy3es.jpg

I should have two of these candlesticks completely finished by tomorrow, they will go into my own dollhouse.

Both of these are great ideas for class Elga... I continue to be impressed with your SA Club projects. 

I wonder if we could put together specific instructions for forum participants to do a candlestick at home on their lathes...

Can we use the 0-80 tap & die?  As I know I have to buy one of those to finish my Needlework stand.

Tamra

Tamra, I'm trying to make a candlestick now. If I post how NOT to do it, and Elga posts the right way to do it, we could learn a lot.

And... let's not forget the lesson on the captive ring on the candlestick.  I watched Bill R do this in his seminar, thanks to Wendy's suggestion, and it was fun to watch that ring be released.  Captive ring on demand was much fun in the 2014 seminar.

Tamra

I think hands on classes are the best for learning brass turning, so for any of you not having taken such a class before...I would suggest to watch out for when Bill Robertson teaches a class like that again...best to learn straight from the master :-)

I finished my two candlesticks today, I polished them while they were still on the lathe, they were quite hard to photograph, some time I will need to invest in some good lights. The candle were made from 2mm styrene rod, the wick were turned at slow speed with the cutter almost touching the collet until the candle broke free by itself, I filed it thinner by hand and then painted the wick black. In looking at the original that I copied I can see where my interpretation still needs refining but on the whole I am pretty pleased with how they turned out, except for turning some tiny finials and drawer knobs this is my first real project doing brass turning on my own that needed parts to fit together. Mmmhh, in looking at the photo...I think the candle is a bit too long maybe...and oh yes the candlestick is 22.5mm tall in total.

image.jpg2_zpspezgjxkm.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsevdzqvhu.jpg

The candlesticks are wonderful Elga.  May I suggest a reminder to your students that since they are hand turned and not duplicated on a lathe, that it is very difficult to make a matched pair... as it is the most natural progression to want to have a pair of candlesticks!

I really enjoyed turning brass and hope to try again soon... I am trying to make only one order to a supplier for brass, aluminum for jigs, etc, so I've been sitting on my hands and not placing an order until I can get my head around everything that I need.

I know your club members will enjoy this project and it is an inspiring topic for other miniature clubs. 

Missy, how is your brass candlestick progressing?

Tamra

Tamra, I taught the first three students this last Saturday, it went well and they thoroughly enjoyed it...I told them they had the luxury of not trying to make a matched pair :-) We ended up having only one lathe so we were challenged for time as the club meeting is only four hours long.

Here is a photo of two of the students finished candlesticks, the third lady had to go home early.

image.jpg1_zpseepkeelb.jpg

Good luck with sourcing all your supplies...although I sometimes wish to escape to living in the country, I am happy that I live in a large metropolitan area, my brass supplier also stock aluminum, there are two branches I can go to, both about a 30 minute drive away...they cut for the industry and sell all their off cuts cheaper than normal price and usually have quite a nice selection to choose from.

Tamra, my work schedule is strange - I work 90 hours in 6 days and then have the next 8 days off. I'm just finishing up a 6 day work stretch, so I haven't done anything more with my candlestick. I did clean out part of the garage in preparation for setting up a new workbench that arrived the end of last week. I want to get that set up next so I don't have to put the lathe away each time I finish using it to keep the cats from getting hurt on it or chewing up the cord. With the heat index over 100 for the next few days, I don't know how much I'll get done in the garage.

Missy, with that beautiful lathe, you can't pick it up and put it on your kitchen table?  That is what I love about our miniature tools, they are easily moved to an air conditioned room. 

Well perhaps brass shavings mixed with dinner isn't my best idea. 

I'm not close either... but I'm looking forward to a turning brass adventure at home.

Tamra

Elga, those are really beautiful candleholders... you are a great teacher...  did they like using the tap & die?  I still think that is one of my top mini experiences of this year... the simple stuff can bring great joy!

I'm looking forward to seeing your other club members results...

Tamra

Thank you Tamra...yes they did like using the tap and die set, most of them didn't know about it at all, and yes for me that was the highlight of last year's class in Tune too, it still gives me a thrill when the piece screws together...a bit of magic :-)

I just don't like the tap and die set that I bought at Metalliferous much, especially using the die...I call it my coffin die...for obvious reasons if you look at the shape.

http://www.metalliferous.com/Eurotool-Mini-Tap-Die-Set-07mm-2mm-14-pc/productinfo/TAP135%2E00/

I bought the metric version of this one (although that description said HSS whereas this one don't) on Amazon.uk and had it sent to my friend in The Netherlands to pick it up there in October, I did a find a set here in SA but at almost double the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VH3FZY/ref=pe_54110_142897380_em_1p_3_ti#productDetails

I think having two taps of each size is a good idea, I was a bit worried that the students would break the only one I had.

Tamra, the kitchen table is where I've been using it, but I worry about the cats eating the brass shavings, or Nutmeg chewing the cord. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about using the the tap and die. I got the same set Elga got when we were in NYC, and broke two of the dies. I also am waiting for a new set with the round dies that I can hold on the lathe. I hope they get here soon!

I use my Morris tap and die set for most of my tapping.  It has 00-90, 0-80, 1-72 and  2-56.  The taps are kept in the handle; the dies are held in the handle with set screw.  The taps fit in the little aluminum holders and also are held with the set screw.  I can also use the dies in a chuck or collet.  The tape can be held in a chuck on the lathe tail stock.

post-35-0-00237100-1437003707_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-61920700-1437003721_thumb.jpg

Elga the candlesticks are so beautiful! What fun :) 

haha I have the coffin die too. 

Bill H, I am learning so much from you.  Thank you for telling us about sets of tap and dies... still considering my retail options.  I keep hoping I'll find some watchmaking equipment at a local option, but I haven't found anything that I thought was useful, but the last one that did have watch parts, was prior to the forum, and I had no idea what to look for; husband is great at finding unusual things for my potential use, though.  There were a lot of watch crystals; had I been on my toes, I should have been thinking of crystals for a clock face; guess it is easy enough to harvest one off of an old watch.

I will look for the table for the tap & die chart that you have in your set in the Machinery's Handbook.  I've got a beautiful 1951 version 14th edition, at auction - very inexpensive $6-$7??  I'm sure I have the receipt, but it seemed like a good reference book to have on the bookshelf.  I definitely think this book would definitely fit in miraclechicken's tool chest that she posted about on the forum.

I am thrilled to learn that I have a MSC customer fullfillment center about 7 miles from our home... no SHIPPING!  I purchased 4 blank HSS tool square bits today for under $10 - feeling blessed tonite to just pay sales tax with no shipping.

Elga, miniature caskets to cover with needlework, and coffin taps and die sets, somehow make sense to me!

Tamra

I like your little Morris tap and die set Bill, there is one for sale on Ebay, the listing says nothing about the sizes of the taps and dies though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-MORRIS-E-Z-TAP-DIE-SET-MACHINIST-TOOLS-w-ORIGINAL-BOX-/161718683996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a72f495c

Elga, That is the same set as mine.  I have had my set nearly 40 year, have only broken three taps in that time.The taps are usually held in the handle. It seems a bit high in cost. New / replacement taps and dies can (?) be ordered from Morris. 

PS:  I just priced a set ordered piece by piece from my old catalog (1992) and it calculates over $600.  so this is not as bad a price as I thought.

I just got some taps and dies from micromark (00-90, 0-80, 1-72, 2-56), and they're 13/16" dies. There are a couple sets on Amazon that I almost got, and the description doesn't give the diameter of the dies. They're very small, too small to use in a die holder, so they have to be used by hand. The ones from micromark are very nice, and much better quality than the coffin set. http://www.micromark.com/die-00-90,6509.html

Archived