Maysville KY Gateway Museum

WeekendMiniaturist

I had a wonderful visit today at the KY Gateway Museum. I saw so many wonderful miniatures! The collection is outstanding. I saw three of Bill Hudson's pieces... The South Bend house by Noel and Pat Thomas, and of course seeing the Spencer House, is again a wonderful feast for the eyes... if you are driving through Kentucky, you should defintely stop and spend a few wonderful hours at the museum.

Althea's knitting photos on the forum are great, but seeing these pieces with your own eyes, at eye level really allow you to see and appreciate the detail, artistry, and technical ability is observed with awe.

I especially appreciate seeing all those wonderful pieces of petitpoint and the knotted silk carpets are incredible... I like to shrink myself and live in the South Bend house.

There are so many wonderful items in this museums collection, many that have been displayed in miniature magzines, that you might recognize the work of a friend or artisan that you have purchased from.

Tamra

Tamra, 

Thank you for visiting the KSB Miniatures Collection at the Kentucky Gateway Museum Center. I only wish I would have been there to meet you and to show you some of my favorite pieces. I, too, often think of living in South Bend! The next time you are in Kentucky I hope you will again stop in. We change exhibits several times a year. In the meantime, please check out our  Facebook page--we highlight artisans' work every week.

Warm regards,

K

https://www.facebook.com/KathleenSavageBrowningMiniatures

I had a wonderful visit today at the KY Gateway Museum. I saw so many wonderful miniatures! The collection is outstanding. I saw three of Bill Hudson's pieces... The South Bend house by Noel and Pat Thomas, and of course seeing the Spencer House, is again a wonderful feast for the eyes... if you are driving through Kentucky, you should defintely stop and spend a few wonderful hours at the museum….

Tamra

Thanks for mentioning my miniatures Tamra,  that is a surprise to me too. I am happy that my work is represented there.

Guillermo

• 1 year later...

I would love to see how museums decorate scale miniature rooms for Christmas.  I always enjoy reading miniature blogs and thought I would see what was happening in Maysville...   The Christmas decorations will continue until January 20, 2017.  If you are not able to travel to Maysville in the next 12 days, you can still see some of the decorations.

If you go to the website, there is a mini slide show for us to enjoy.

http://ksbminiaturescollection.com/

There are so many, many wonderful items in this collection, that is very hard to pick a favorite!  I think Jamie Carrington & Kerri Pajutee's Nativity and Teresa Layman's Gingerbread house are at the top of my list!  What is your favorite item at the museum? 

Its a New Year... I hope you can include a visit to the KSB Miniatures Collection in Maysville, KY in 2017.

Thanks Tamra for bringing this website to my attention, the Holidays decorations are fabulous, I seriously need to go there someday.

Gisele,  I hope you are able to visit the museum... oh, and I meant to say, what is your favorite Christmas item at the museum?  I don't know if I can pick my favorite item at this museum, there are so many beautiful miniatures to enjoy!

I was there with a friend the first Fri in Dec. We arrived in Maysville during the Christmas parade, and we couldn't find any way to get to the inn until the parade was over. We ended up watching the parade from the car parked at an intersection with the parade route. My favorite Christmas miniatures are also the gingerbread house and the nativity. My all time favorites at the museum are the Cox building and the Thomas' South Bend house. And Bill R's roller skates and tools. I don't remember seeing any of Bill H's pieces. Which ones are there? It's easy to miss things just because there are so many. 

• 2 weeks later...

Missy, there is a velocipede, Carriage, and 3rd item which is escaping my memory... they are in the corner display cabinet opposite of the Jane Davies Doll collection (when I was there.)  Kaye indicates in her blog post on January 6, 2017, that she now has a Bill Hudson Tricycle ... I wonder if this Tricycle was the subject of a Guild School Class... I think I remember breezing through Miniature Collector Magazine or Nutshell News and review of IGMA classes... and I THINK I REMEMBER a Bill Hudson Tricycle class.

http://blog.ksbminiaturescollection.com/

Now - lamenting that I didn't know about GS, then...  If I could turn back time, knowing what I know now, I would have tried my best to have attended that class!

I would like to attend the Maysvillle Museum annually... Kaye if you are reading and there is a gathering of miniaturists to celebrate, collaborate or just enjoy, I would enjoy attending.

• 6 months later...

In my head tonite, I was trying to figure out when Maysville Museum opened, without pulling out the stacks of magazines, so I went back to the website to visit electronically....  I love books. I love books about miniatures!  I am thrilled to have just discovered that Kaye Browning has published a book about her exquisite collection.  

http://ksbminiaturescollection.com/

At the lefthand side of the page, you can see the book, "Collectively Speaking".

Update:  8.21.17 I had to setup an account with the order website, and added my address, and now I am able to checkout!

• 3 weeks later...

Leslie, I received the book, and I am planning to read it on my next mini adventure to the Masterworks event!

I love books, but books about miniatures are the best!

Archived