miter gauge for Dremel 580 table saw

karincorbin

Here is my first entry for the fixture challenge, a custom miter gauge. We had several of the Dremel 580 table saws around the workshop. This 4 inch table saw is no longer being made. I had buyers for our last two (we are downsizing) but they were missing the miter gauge,. One of the saws belonged to my partner who is a product designer and he has lots of precision fabrication tools, laser cutter, CNC mills, 3D printer, etc around as well as various industrial strength materials. So I told him you have a buyer for your saw but we need to make a miter fence for it. Sometimes we need that incentive deadline to accomplish those "get to it someday" jobs ;).

dremel%2520fence.jpg

miter%2520closeup.jpg

It is a real upgrade to the original miter fence. It fits snugly and because it is made from strong Delrin Acetal plastic the slide is self lubricating in the slot and glides smoothly. Also he put in pinned positions for 90. 45, 22.5, 30 and 60 degree angles.

It won't turn a Dremel 580 into a Byrne's table saw but at least you can have a decent miter fence for it.

Don will make them to order if you need one, it does come with a wood fence and instructions. Put Dremel Miter Gauge in the subject and send it to donaup at gmail. You would have to ask him about the cost, materials cost is always changing just like the price of fuel.

I have several more fixtures, some I have made, some from my partner but will show them later in their own threads

That looks really nice, like the way you lock it in at the various pre set degrees.

Thanks for posting it and look forward to your other stuff.

Do you have a Byrne saw? Want to write about?

That looks really nice, like the way you lock it in at the various pre set degrees.

Thanks for posting it and look forward to your other stuff.

Do you have a Byrne saw? Want to write about?

I do have a Byrnes saw. I purchased one of the first production run of 100 :).

I had done an internet search with the keywords "precision 4 inch table saw" and up popped a review from a ship modeling forum about a brand new saw that had just been made available for sale. I could see from the discussion about it and the photos that as a machinist he knew what the was doing and had the equipment to do it the right way.

At the time I wrote my first review about it the question was asked "can you get replacement parts for it if he ever quit making it?". The answer to that would be yes you can because you could have a machine shop reproduce the part as it is not made from a bunch of plastic molded pieces. Other parts are good quality catalog types of machine items that come in standard sizes. But it is unlikely that anything would break other than the power switch as the machine is robustly made.

My switch is at the back of the saw. I wrote to him about that and persuaded him it was in his best interest to move it to the front so people would not be careless and reach over a spinning blade to shut it off. My original switch did break and as he no longer uses that particular switch he sent me several of them so I never have to worry about it. Jim Byrnes stands behind what he makes, he is in charge of quality control and the great customer service. I like knowing it was made by a talented miniature artisan who wanted a tool that satisfied his own personal quest for quality model making. In other words, he is one of us!

There is pretty much one thing to say about the saw, it is made for precision work and it is precisely made so it does exactly what it was made to do.

If you run into trouble with it not cutting a straight line the most likely culprit is a blade that is not true. You can guess how I learned that fact.

The arbor does not tilt but he has created a fixture for beveling. I don't have one so I can't review its functionality.

I also own his thickness sander. Now there is a machine I would not want to be without when making miniature furniture! It does a fantastic job. The motor is strong, the motor speed is perfect for the task and you don't need proprietary sandpaper for it. You have a choice of having one grit of sandpaper across the whole width or putting two grits side by side. One for coarse for rapid material removal and one for finish sanding. That is a time saver. I use one of the crepe rubber sandpaper cleaners to extend the life of my papers.

I loved my little Dremel table saw.  Soon after they discontinued the belt broke and none were available at that time so I improvised with O rings. Then the bearing went out.  Micro mark soon cam out with it's version of a tilt arbor table saw, the Micro Lux tilting arbor saw and I bought one.  All in all I am happy with it although there rare some changes I would like to see or make; just never had the time. I have never been happy with the miter gauge.  Can you also make this miter gauge for the Micro Lux (Proxon) table saw?

The Proxxon/Microlux version will require a different runner to fit into the slot. It will need to be both narrower and quite a bit thinner. I will talk to Don and see what he thinks about that in terms of what materials he might need for the changes.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2016 at 8:17 PM, lkropf said:

How can I order one?

send an email to donaup at gmail   His name is Don Aupperle

Archived