Tilt and turn 18th century table

ElgaKoster

I finally finished my own table after I made a few of these back in 2012, the table is made from Mopane wood. One thing I didn't know how to make in 2012 was a decent working latch that looked like a real antique one. Thanks to the classes I took with Bill Robertson over the last few years I was able to figure out how to make this one and I am pretty pleased with it, you can see more on how I made the latch in the metalwork category of the forum.

http://www.fineminiaturesforum.com/index.php?/topic/485-tilt-top-table-latch/

image.jpg1_zpsy1jgjvtu.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsuz6xv4hp.jpg

And set up for tea, anyone want to join me? :-)

image.jpg2_zpso6awnonb.jpg

Elga I like the visible differences of your grain in the wood you selected for your table top; it gives the piece another level of visual interest.  I'm not familiar with Mopane wood, but if the difference is caused by the sap running through the wood, I like it.    (We have that conversation around here on the pros and cons of sap in any given board and its use in furniture...)

Finish looks great too.    I think you have a Victorian Structure... will this move to the Dutch Cape House? 

It is wonderful to finish something for YOU!

Tamra

Tamra no there isn't any sapwood in the pieces I used although I did cut it out right next to sapwood, the sapwood is yellow and very distinctive, the grain along the sapwood seems to be the nicest with tiny little knots and interesting waves in the grain.

image.jpg1_zps6q9dv4bf.jpg

And here are two links on mopane, I just made the same item in cherry and mopane and although mopane is more difficult to work with...nothing beats the finish you get on it, plus it is heavier and you can actually feel the difference in weight when you pick it up.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/mopane/

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/colomopane.htm

The worms they mention in the last link..a few years ago we went into Pretoria's CBD and the street vendors had baskets full of them, one delicacy I am happy to never taste....

I have completely abandoned the idea of finishing the Victorian house, too much about it that I don't like, so yes this table and chairs together with the rug will be in the entrance hall of my Cape Dutch house.

I think mopane is one of the nicest woods for fine miniatures. I simulates mahogany and almost a has a scale open grain stucture. It also oxidizes to the same natural color as mahogany. It is however much more difficult to work in, I would say it might take up to twice as long to do some things as cherry or pearwood. It is very hard, brittle and the edges will chip out if not cut correctly. I have made some of my best pieces from it.

Again Elga, your table and chairs look great.

Archived