1/48th 1920s Queenslander

Warren Barnard

Hello all,

these are some photos of my latest prototype for a 1/48th 1920s Queenslander. The house is a little rough as it's the prototype and it's has been bashed around the bench and pulled apart etc but at least it's finished. I have also just completed the assembly manual and I'm assembling the first kits for a new show in Brisbane this weekend. I am looking forward to spending some time to assemble a finer version when I have a bit of time but this will have to do for now.

DSCF4275sm.jpg

DSCF4280sm.jpg

DSCF4282sm.jpg

DSCF4284sm.jpg

DSCF4286sm.jpg

DSCF4288sm.jpg

DSCF4291sm.jpg

yours in miniatures

Warren, it looks great...... So different than the houses we have around here......... Your house reminds of some of the movies filmed in Au.

This is really fabulous! For a prototype it sure is perfect! Even the grounds --beautifully made---

Love your house Warren! I am curious, why is it build on stilts, flood danger, keeping critters out or does it make the house cooler in the heat of summer?

I also like that most of the rooms have doors to the veranda, whenever I look at a miniature house I imagine living in it and as somebody who cooks almost every day I am wondering which room is the kitchen? My guess is that it is the blue papred room on the front porch.

A lot of the older South African farm houses also had rooms that had no connecting doors to the rest of the house.

Hello,

Thanks for your positive comments.

Yes Elga, you got it right, 1: Termites, 2: Flooding, 3: Cooling air flow and 4: somewhere for the laundry and to hang the clothes and for the kids to play out of the sun, obviously which order changes with the day and whats going wrong.

The rooms are from the front left to right, bedroom, hallway, master bedroom, obviously the best room in the house with verandahs and french doors. middle row left bedroom or in earlier plans kitchen, middle right living room, Rear left bathroom, rear verandah and right kitchen. More basic plans had no rear rooms or verandah, just a staircase down from the kitchen.

Wellington%20Point%20house%20and%20floor

Approved%20designs%20of%20dwellings%20%2

The photo at the top and a pencil sketch of the floor plan are all I had to go with, The lower photo is from a plan book of approved plans(#154) for State Advances Corporation 1945, it is very similar but slightly smaller and without the expensive trim details. I went with a single stair at the front rather than the twin in the photo because that is much more prototypical. All dimensions for windows and doors are from a woodworking catalog from a company still in business making joinery since 1928.

yours in miniatures

Thank you for your answer Warren, the two rooms you mentioned for the kitchen are the ones I thought the most obvious, I just got the front and back of the house wrong :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice work, Warren!  I would love to live in this house - or at least, visit.  The house my mother grew up in, in the Panama Canal Zone, was also built on stilts, and in addition to the uses you mentioned, she found it to be a nice cool place for roller skating.   :)

Archived