Sheraton Artist's or Writing table

Wm. R. Robertson

We all know it is a lot easier to build a miniature if you have good photos, drawing ,etc…. it is even better if you have to object you are going to copy in your shop. As some of you might know, the price for "brown" antique furniture is at a real low point these days. It is truly a buyers market. I picked this table up yesterday for an amazing cheap price. I would say it is English, maybe 1790's but more likely 1800 to 1810. This was not a high end table, the builder used mahogany only where it shows such as the drawer front, front legs, sides and top edge veneer. They used oak for the back legs and pine for the back apron, drawer sides & bottom, pull outs etc.

The table appears in original condition, the auction house did not understand how it opened so they stated part of the mechanism was missing, it is not. Also it is made so you can take the top off along with it's tilting mechanism and set it somewhere else. It has the original leather, caster and hardware. It needs some minor repairs and a little cleaning… thats why it is still down in the shop.

So one more thing to add to my list of cool things to make……. my house is really starting to look like my body of miniature work over all these years.. So keep your eyes out at auctions and be ready to bid when the time is right.

DSCN5469_zpsea1a4395.jpg

DSCN5470_zps9518b72c.jpg

DSCN5471_zpse7e26aa0.jpg

DSCN5476_zps5a1696b5.jpg

Great find Bill! These little tables are fun to make! Enjoy restoring this one, I bought a Victorian chair a few weeks ago that I still wanted to post and forgot about, will start a new thread on that.

Anyone care to guess just how cheap I got this 200 year old table?

What would you have paid?

Hard to guess what you paid without knowing the venue.  As far as what I would have paid for it, the only thing I know for sure is that I would have paid less for it than i would pay for your miniature of it. 

This was bought at a local public auction with Internet and phone bidding...... I think the high lot of the day was a pair of metal cachepots, French flower pots, they did $ 33,000....... But furniture went cheap.

Well, I don't really know what cheap would be in the US, but about $50 is what I think it would sell for in South Africa given it's condition. Brown furniture seems to do very well here at the moment, no bargains on really good pieces to be found.

I guess the pictures are deceiving, it is in a lot better shape than the flash pictures make it look...... Anyway it was $ 200. plus a $ 30. premium.......

One thing is for sure, Peter has it right.... The miniature will cost a lot more.

Archived