Shop Lighting

jackofalltrades

My shop has been in constant use for 10 years and sitting idle for the past two years.   I'm in the process of cleaning/painting and reorganization in order to get back to making miniatures as a hobby.

Today, I only had time to do a bit of clean up and moving a machine.  After moving the machine I am looking at the lighting situation and thinking I need some task lighting in addition to the general room lighting.   My general room lighting is the standard florescent bulb in sockets and it does a fairly good job.   I need at least 2-3 good task lights for a tiny lathe and a tiny mill. 

We just replaced my wife's florescent aquarium light with an LED light and are very pleased both with the huge amount of light and the low electrical current draw. 

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with a bright, preferably LED, task light that they are really happy with?

Jack

Check out these from Ikea, at $ 10. Each they are hard to beat, I bought ten of them! The small head makes it easy to get the light between your eyes and the work giving a shadow free view...... And they make it in a clamp on version and different colors. I have also seen these being used on a lot of bigger machines too in friends shops.....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

Bill,

Thanks !   That is a very nice lamp , especially the clamp on model.   Are any of yours the clamp on model?   Where is the switch?

The older I get the more light my eyes require for both the work and safety!

Might be an outstanding solution!

Jack

I don't like clamp ons so no, some I will mount on small magnetic bases so I can stick them to machines..... The way they come is with a 2 screw mounting to a plastic covered piece of cast concrete..... So you can screw them to whatever base you want...... The switch is a inline cord switch.

Yes those Ikea lights are good....a word or warning though...I have maybe 6-7 both in the shop and the house. 2-3 of them have an annoying flicker thing, they will do dim, then bright, back and forth, it you just touch the switch they come back on full. 2 of these are mounted on machines, one a bandsaw and the other a full size milling machine. Maybe its the vibration?

That said for 10 bucks you really can't go wrong and I would still recc. them as well.

Paul

The flicker is in the switch.  You can replace the switch without cutting any wires.  They are available at most hardware stores.  Here is a description from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/LEVITON-L01-05410-00I-FEED-THRU-SWITCH-IVORY/dp/B00004YUKH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416855609&sr=8-3&keywords=cord+switch+leviton

I made this change to two of the lamps and it works great.

Merl

• 1 year later...

I saw a lot of these $10 LED lights at the Chicago International Show, and I remembered this topic from the forum, so we went to Ikea Sunday morning, as Ikea opened an hour before the Miniature Show.  I purchased 1 with the base, and one with the clamp.  Has anyone used these to travel with to miniature classes?  I know the Ottlight seems to be the traveling standard, but they are heavy to ship and  heavy to carry on, and I always have to unpack my ottlight to get through security when I carry on.

I do not know the thickness of the tables that we are using at Guild School, but these lights seem much more compact.  I will weigh them on my postal scale at the office.

I guess the logical thing is to try and work with them in the shop, but wondering if anyone has had any issues with airport security.

Tamra

Tamra, I have a smaller ott light that came with a little travel case; never has posed a security/travel problem. I also have a small light purchased at a craft store (probably Hobby Lobby). It has 4 LEDs, a clamp base, runs on AA batteries and is very light.  I use both when traveling. I'm curious to see what the ikea light weighs.

Martha

Hi Martha, as packaged from Ikea,

the light with the cement base weighs 2lbs, 5.1 oz  / box measures 10.75" w x  1.75" h x 5" d

the light with the clamp weighs 11.7 oz./ box measures 6.25" w x 2-1/8" h x 4.75" d

I have used the lamp on my work table as I've been trying to finish a doll that I was working on, and it works well, and my husband (who has sensitive eyes post surgery) finally does not object to this light.  Although to stitch, I miss my magnifier, but I think to be portable and stitch I can just use readers for the trade off of how light they are. 

Tamra

Archived