Next project a German house with a lot of carving...

Catherine Soubzmaigne

I am presently stitching a medieval tapestry ( it is a commission) but as soon as it is finished, I have a great project where what I learnt with Ann High at school will be very useful.

It is a German timber house that I already made a few years ago but the next one will be an exact copy of the real one in Idstein (Germany ).

I did the first one just from a picture on a calendar. For the next one, I have planned a trip to the beautiful town where it is located and I will take measurements, probably get inside and study it closer.

And this is in two weeks time.

post-109-0-41322000-1415977859_thumb.jpg

How exciting Catherine! This is such a beautiful house. It will be a beautiful miniature.

I wish you would post or email me some more photos of your medieval tapestry.

I am having a lot of fun stitching your Aunt Olga. I started it in August, it is about three quarters finished now.

Well done, Catherine.

I saw a finished one by a French friend on the train taking us to Holland two or three weeks ago, different colors but beautiful.

Here is the tapestry but don't put the picture any where else on the web, I want it to be a surprise for my client ( I don't think he comes on this forum)

post-109-0-01394200-1415985196_thumb.jpg

How exciting Catherine! This is such a beautiful house. It will be a beautiful miniature.

I wish you would post or email me some more photos of your medieval tapestry.

I am having a lot of fun stitching your Aunt Olga. I started it in August, it is about three quarters finished now.

Show us what you have so far, please….

Thank you so much Catherine. You have done a lot more since I last saw it. It is just BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't imagine how you managed to chart something like this (or the Aunt Olga either. That is just as impressive as your gorgeous stitching.

I wouldn't think of posting your picture anywhere and ruining the surprise.

Oh Catherine! That house is so wonderful! And the tapestry... just spectacular!! I am so amazed that you are free-hand stitching it!

What a beautiful house!  I'm sure you'll have such fun traveling and doing the research.  The tapestry is stunning!  Free-hand stitching?  Does that mean you're doing it without a chart?

Hello Catherine,

impressive the tapestry!! and very interesting the façade of the house you want to reproduce!

If you like this kind of architecture, not far from Paris, in the small village of Morlaix you have a curious example of  a half-timbered house, more than curious, unique, It is a "lantern" house. The façade is not as rich as yours, but what makes this one unique is its inside structure, divided in two volumes with a  covered courtyard between them developed in all its height. A huge chimeney heats this courtyard and the warm air goes inside the different rooms of each flat, which are jointed thanks a carved spiral staircase.

It could be quite interesting combine your façade with this inside structure!. It is true that your german house  is circa 1615 and that of Morlaix, 90 years earlier, but this is what miniatures let us do: interpret reality!

Sorry for the poor quality of photos, but they are made with another camera!

post-96-0-93931200-1416497371_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-13382800-1416497375_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-01231000-1416497486_thumb.jpg

Thank you, miniarquitect...very interesting, maybe the next project, I don't want to mix the two styles and honestly, I am not sure I can reproduce the inside of the French house....

And missy boling, yes, I thought it would take too much time to chart it so I printed the picture ( a combination of two real tapestries) to the right scale and I drew the outlines of the characters on the silk gauze with a pencil and worked free hand from there.

Miniarquitect, which Morlaix is it ? 3 hours east of Paris probably, the only one I know is in Brittany.

Ah, well at least you have some guidance for the stitching.  Sounds like the sketch lines when starting a painting, then filling in with thread instead of paint.  Still, an amazing job!  I would do more ripping out than stitching if I worked that way.  For a second, I was wondering how my Maria got into your picture.  They could be twins.  :-)  Beautiful house!

Miniarquitect, which Morlaix is it ? 3 hours east of Paris probably, the only one I know is in Brittany.

yes, Catherine, in Brittany

• 3 months later...

Catherine, the tapestry is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I wish I could have had a chance to see it in real life, but maybe it's best I didn't because if it looks that beautiful in a photo, I would most likely swoon if I saw it in person.

Truly amazing work. I am in awe!

Teresa

Catherine, your tapestry is fabulous! I wish I could have seen the finished piece. These photos don't do it justice. I am glad I saw it in progress last year.

Archived