Detailed photos of my Needlepoint Stand and Thread holder for Guild School 2015

Wm. R. Robertson

Hello All, I stated in the the Guild School catalog more photos could be found on the forum, well the pictures came out better than I thought they would so I never got around to posting them…. after phone requests here they are. Sorry for those searching earlier. These are the subjects of the two classes I am teaching next year, below I have added the full class description so you don't have to search for it online. The stand class will be a 36 hours followed by the 12 hour thread holder.

DSCN1223_zpsaaefc05b.jpg

DSCN1242_zps1bb74f6e.jpg

DSCN1225_zpsad6c269f.jpg

DSCN1227_zpsba805e2c.jpg

DSCN1232_zps63aaa14a.jpg

DSCN1243_zps4b99f155.jpg

36 hour   Needlework or Sewing Stand

Needlework or sewing stands can be quite simple, but this is not one of those! The complex details in the design of this piece will be difficult to see in the catalog photos so please check the photos on the IGMA website and Forum. The design is based on an early 17th century table and is so subtle and elegant it would fit into any period. The turnings have octagonal and tapered hexagon shaped sections. The project is also made from an exceptional Rosewood.

Basically this is a lathe class; it is machining wood on a Taig metal lathe. The Bolivian Rosewood we will be using has some of the prettiest grain I have ever seen; it turns and polishes beautifully. Students will start by turning the wood blanks to specific shapes, then transferring them to milling and indexing fixtures to cut the eight sided sections. Using another fixture the tapered six sided elements will be machined. The rest of the turning will be done with a fixed tool in a slide rest and free hand with gravers. An alternate design without all the complex milling will be offered for anyone inclined to simplify the project.

The legs will be sawn out with a jeweler’s saw and held in place with a mortice and tenon joint. A special fixture will be made to hold the stand in perfect alignment during gluing. The frame rails have finials turned on their ends with knurled brass retaining rings and mounting brackets morticed and pinned in place. The brass tightening screws will be made and threaded and special attention will be on making decorative wing nuts. The artist embellishments in wing nut design have fascinated museum curators and collectors for years. There will be a few different designs to choose from to make your project stand out. A finish will bring out the beauty in the wood and ready the stand for students to mount their own needlepoint.

This is an intermediate to advanced lathe class; having taken a class from this instructor or Pete Acquisto would be helpful. Students will focus on doing precise machine set-ups and working to exacting tolerances.

Materials fee $ 95.00

Note: The 12 hour Thread holder class is a companion to this stand. Should a student not get in that class a finished one will be offered at an additional cost.

12 hour Thread Holder to Clamp on Stand

The full title of this project would be a mouthful if described in detail. It is a thread holder, a candleholder, a pincushion; it tilts and it is made to clamp on a table or sewing stand. The most outstanding feature is the pierced and engraved grill to which everything is mounted. For this we are going to use a balance cock from an 18th century English watch. This is a decorative hand made gilt brass grill that protected and supported the balance of a fusee type watch. The styles run from rococo to neoclassical, some with animals, faces or flags in the design. These were often removed and collected during Victorian times and no two are alike. The instructor will provide each student with their own unique balance cock.

Students will first turn and machine the main body. In many cases parts can either be milled in a machine or cut out with a jewelers saw. This way the students can choose which technique they prefer. A number of small parts will be fabricated and riveted together. The adjustable thumbscrews will be made with special attention to decorative heads in different styles. A candleholder and pin dish or cushion can be turned and screwed in place. Thread spools and bobbins will be made and mounted based on the design of each balance cock.

This is an intermediate to advanced lathe and metalworking class. Experience in this sort of work is needed to complete this project at school. There are many options which can complicate the project hence taking more time and skill.

Materials fee  $ 75.00  Note: this includes one genuine 18th century balance cock.

Many great techniques. Love the use of the antique watch cock. This will be a great class.

Oh my...sigh...

Beautiful project to learn so many techniques.  I saw the prototype in the process of being made in Tune.  Such beautiful wood!  I    congratulate all the students who will be taking these classes.  I am very jealous, in a good way of course.  

Thank you for posting these photos of you fantastic project Bill!

I did not pre-register for GS, as I was waiting for the description and to understand the skill-level. The intermediate / advance skill level pre-requisite made me hesitate.  I can't even figure out how to cut that multi-sided hexagon/octagon "turning".  Yes, I'm reading indexed, I would have tried to cut with a tapering jig on a table saw, then turned for the successive cuts.  When I saw the stand here on the forum before GS, and the photo on the board at GS, I did not catch the multi-sided taper, although I have seen this in my studies of Victorian Staircase parts, specifically Newell posts.

Are those legs and stretcher doweled into sectional pieces?  That would be another way assemble.

On the vertical legs above the large ball in the middle you have a ring, and then another smaller ring above that... I don't even have anything that cuts this small to practice with... uh oh....

I'm going to have to do some really serious budgeting or discontinue some spending around here so I can buy a new lathe..

This looks like a wonderful complex project, and one of my favorites from the GS Class proposal; but I fear that I will need 2 weeks! 

I can do the needlework - alas this seems to be the simple part of this project...

This has to be added to one of my favorite GS classes - even if I'm not able to attend the class. 

Tamra

This should be a really fun class, there will be a lot of lathe work... Just about all of it is done with a lathe (not the feet).... It is not doweled if I understand what you are asking... The stretcher and leg are cut from a single piece of wood. I'm not sure which way we will do the tapered hexagons, probably on the lathe with a special attachment.

I should also add that the idea to even propose this came off the forum.

• 3 months later...

I just heard due to a cancelation a space has opened up in the 12 hour class...... It will be filled on a first come first served basis...... If interested contact Barbrar Davis, the school's wonderful director for details or to sign up.

• 1 month later...

Bill, what is the size of the needlework that would be on this stand? 

*Very* excited about the class.    Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on this, the size inside the "rails" is 1 7/8" by 2 5/8".

• 2 months later...

It was a wonderful experience being a first timer in Mr. Robertson's Needlework Stand and Thread Holder classes.  Now, the challenge is to finish it at home without expert advise... I have a series of photos of Bill at my workstation... Oh dear...

I thoroughly enjoyed working on the taig lathe, and using the sherline mill...  I love turning on a lathe.  I have visions of beds, candlesticks and needlework stands dancing in my head.

Tamra

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple photos from the display on graduation night. I agonized over whether to take this class or the silver teapot, and went with the teapot. I did manage to get one of the tools Bill made for the students to use in this class and can hardly wait to try it out.

post-165-0-47341100-1436134306_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-74087100-1436134332_thumb.jpg

The finished stand in Missy's photo was done by Michael Yurkovic (the nametag is cropped off unless you zoom in).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived