Fletcher Capstan table

Debora Beijerbacht

well... totally ridiculous and insanely ambitious... 

this engineers dream table;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_AwFSWIPU

here's a little more explanation

Of course this is way above my head and just too hard to reproduce in 1:12. There are a few mechanisms though, that come close to the same circular expanding feature, but those don't stow the leaves that increase the size of the top.

And that's what actually makes it so attractive to me. And is so useful in miniature too. That way you can 'play' with it without having a bunch of loose table tops you need to put in.

A feature that made me make this table

post-10-0-76938600-1403461453_thumb.jpeg

post-10-0-18836100-1403461468_thumb.jpeg

But a circular one is definitely on my to-dream-do-list :)

Having had the chance to play with your other table I can't wait to play with the round one!

Go for it!

Thanks Niels! The itch gets worse...... But this animal needs to be made in full size first, to fully comprehend it's mechanics, before it's even possible to consider making it in scale! Talking bout a mock up.... 

• 2 years later...

I watched the You Tube videos on the table, certainly a metal lathe gives someone the ability to make the gears, and one could take a camera lens apart to see how an iris mechanism has been engineered, someone in the US has some instructions but You Tube videos do not look as sophisticated as the geared mechanisms on this one. 

This would be a beautiful and ambitious project.  I hope we can watch your progress.

• 1 month later...

Rohit's Miniatures (India) had the historical version of the Fletcher Capstan table on display at the Chicago International Show.  Darren was there too, when Rohit was demonstrating it for me, so I hope he will post the short video that he took with his phone.  

He doesn't have the table on his website right now, but I hope he will add it in the future.  Here is a link to his website so you can see it... it is an incredible piece of engineering!

http://www.rohitsminiatures.co.in/

Rohit is one of our artisans that will be at the masterworks event... so if it wasn't sold at Kensington, perhaps he will bring it with him to Kansas City.

• 1 year later...

Debora I like your table!  It took a couple of back and forths between the 2 photos to figure out the movable parts.  I might want to try one with a more industrial feel to it. Again great work. 

Archived