A desirable project for me one day.

Bill Hudson

This is a real life fantasy project. One of the many racing sleighs of Ludwig II of Bavaria.  I do have measured drawings of this sleigh. Maybe some day I can start it.

Cupido sleigh 1725-1730 Speeding sleigh (hunting). Photo by Frits vqn Solt, Maarssen, The Netherlands.

post-35-0-37684800-1403327856_thumb.jpg

This sleigh is located at Marstallmuseum, Scholss Nymphenburg in Munich.  I believe all the other sleigh I have posted are also there.

I have been chasing this sleigh for years. Have many picture of it but not of the back side and no measurements. I was in contact with the museum where it is located but only got back copies of this same picture. While there a couple years ago my grandson took many pictures with his phone but still no back side an not of the best quality because it was a phone picture in poor light. I have finally decided I will just admire it.  

post-35-0-85468200-1403325898_thumb.jpeg

post-35-0-92359300-1403327260_thumb.jpg

Photo by Frits van Solt

I am putting these here in hope they will inspire someone. I have no intension to build this one.

Apparently there are two Nymph sleighs. The first nymph looks much younger than the second one. 

post-35-0-07282400-1403350053_thumb.jpg

Photo Frits van Solt

post-35-0-28246400-1403350014_thumb.jpg

Photo by Frits van Solt

post-35-0-72666500-1403350035_thumb.jpg

Photo by Frits van Solt 

Renaissance or Dress Sleigh with angles, 1872-1873 (electrified 1879) All photos by Frits van Solt.  The only way I could get the forum to post these pictures is a separate reply for each one. 

post-35-0-19862000-1403352228_thumb.jpg

They look like they came straight out of a fairy tale! I don't think I have ever seen them before, thanks for sharing Bill.

I agree! They are the stuff of fairy tales. It is hard to believe they were made in RL. They certainly would be a challenge in miniature!

I hope you do make the one you have drawings for Bill. I know it would be a master piece!

This dream project looks like it would be a nightmare trying to get all those curves to line up and the thing sit straight..

Great link Elga.... And if you look at the guys other pictures there are more views and a whole row of these crazy things.....

And I just looked at where they are and I will be going there next month!..... I have a week planed to do museums in Munich!

Thank goodness for digital cameras.... Don't have to carry all that film around, but miss the little containers.

Thanks Elga,  I can not open the page, Flicker/yahoo is giving me a run around over my address.

I was able to get in on Pat's account but am not able to save the pictures.

If you go into the guys album and then into his album for the Munich pictures there are even more..... As to copying them, you can always do a screen shot which saves everything you see on the screen......

Here is a straight on front view.

post-3-0-00029900-1403390490_thumb.jpg

On a Mac....

To take a screenshot of the menu without the title, hover over the menu, press Command (⌘)-Shift-4 and the Space bar. To cancel, press Escape (esc) before you click. In Mac OS X v10.6 and later, the screenshots are saved as PNG files on the desktop.

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

support.apple.com/kb/ht5775

What gorgeous sleds! It's totally clear to me why you'd like to make these. So appealing with all the opulent carvings but I think it's best to steer away from them. Too scared for the time it would cost to make one of these.

• 1 month later...

I was in the German National Museum yesterday and they had about a dozen of these type of sleds....... I took lots of pictures, some of which I will post later. These things are really cool and some of them pretty small.

Are the sleighs large enough for 1 person?  They are beautiful, but also remind me of the period of time when the bow of a ship was carved so beautifully.  Tamra/Indiana

What gorgeous sleds! It's totally clear to me why you'd like to make these. So appealing with all the opulent carvings but I think it's best to steer away from them. Too scared for the time it would cost to make one of these.

I think one of these would be right up your alley.  I can imagine you doing one. I found that time is not a factor when you do what you love. It is when you get to thinking of monetary time that a project becomes hard.  Some projects are a life time project out of love; you work on them when you need a break away from life..

Tam' these were one person sleighs.  The smaller ones were racing sleighs.  The picture of Ludvig in his sleigh will give you an idea of the livery.. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are two that have the mermaid holding lanterns, they are each side of the museum. I was there today and took lots of pictures. These folks really had a thing for this type sleigh..... I think there are dozens of them around here.

Would make a super cool project.... BTW... In same parlance is a painting of a rose engine and maybe even the machine itself, but of course that part is closed now..... I have been hunting this for years.

• 3 weeks later...

There are two that have the mermaid holding lanterns, they are each side of the museum. I was there today and took lots of pictures. These folks really had a thing for this type sleigh..... I think there are dozens of them around here.

Would make a super cool project.... BTW... In same parlance is a painting of a rose engine and maybe even the machine itself, but of course that part is closed now..... I have been hunting this for years.

Anxious to see them. Hope you got some very close ups of some of the flower carvings on the cupid racing sleigh.  

• 1 month later...

This is a real life fantasy project. One of the many racing sleighs of Ludwig II of Bavaria.  I do have measured drawings of this sleigh. Maybe some day I can start it.

Cupido sleigh 1725-1730 Speeding sleigh (hunting). Photo by Frits vqn Solt, Maarssen, The Netherlands.

attachicon.gifcupid.jpg

Is any one out there computer smart enough to copy and enlarge, with real close up detail, the flowers and cupid of this sleigh?

Archived