Roombox - copy of a painting by Cornelius De Man.

Victoria

Just wanted to share my latest work, a roombox which is a copy of a painting by Cornelius De Man "Chess Players". It is all finished except one miniature painting, I left the frame for it in the room. Here is the original painting:

97aeb3c71d56dfe6aecf3360173aeb59.jpg?985

And what we have for now:

14470682583_f1b71704ea_z.jpgCornelis De Man Chess Players Roombox by vika-m, on Flickr

This roombox was commissioned by Miniatura Galata, The Museum of Art Miniatures, Loket, Czech Republic. It is not open to public yet, they are reconstructing the exhibition space. 

The interior and furniture were made by me, the dolls are made by my Mom, Lyubov Morozova (we had three version of the dolls, and what you see is the latest version of them). The rug is designed and stitched by Natalia Frank. The paintings are copied by our client's wife. It was a very interesting project, it took about a year to finish it due to the real life events ( my baby girl was born at the time, so I took some time off and had to slow down with the work).

A lot of research was made to build the furniture and accessories, though our main goal was to give the right impression and feeling of the painting. We also used two other paintings by de Man, who was not really good at drawing people, that's why we had so much work with making dolls. So some details were copied from other de Man's paitings, like the fireplace and chimney details, the walls decoration etc.

The cat is missing though :) Our client didn't find the artisan for it,  but I hope it'll take its place in the future. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think de Man didn't paint the rest of the table (to the right from the lady) - it looks out of proportion to me. Anyway, it was a fantastic challenge to try to copy the painting, find the right colors, textures, materials. Our client is happy about the result and so we are!

Let me show you some more pictures:

14263945699_e6e27705d7_z.jpgCornelis De Man Chess Players Roombox by vika-m, on Flickr

14263924820_2cdc569dde_z.jpgCornelis De Man Chess Players Roombox by vika-m, on Flickr

14450535175_a2db4fefc2_z.jpgCornelis De Man Chess Players Roombox by vika-m, on Flickr

14470678513_80229004c3_z.jpgCornelis De Man Chess Players Roombox by vika-m, on Flickr

14449403554_507cf16e67_c.jpgCornelis De Man Chess Players Roombox by vika-m, on Flickr

Here are the chairs:

11942830626_f4a047d2d4_z.jpgChair upholstery by vika-m, on Flickr

I hope Natalia Frank will join me here soon to tell more about her wonderful rug!

Wow! Wonderful work Victoria, you really made the painting come alive. Your mom's dolls are fantastic, Natalia, I think we would all love to see the rug closer-up.

That is really nice! What you do for the tiles on the fireplace?

It looks like you had a lot of fun researching this project as well as building it.

Thank you for sharing it and hope to see more of your work.

That is really nice! What you do for the tiles on the fireplace?

It looks like you had a lot of fun researching this project as well as building it.

Thank you for sharing it and hope to see more of your work.

Thank you! The tiles are made of photo paper really, I covered them with several layers of Rustins lacquer, worked great for me with couple of my dollhouses.

Did you build this with forced perspective or are you creating perspective with the camera?  Very nice. We have a fabulous cat maker person, Kerri Pajutee, here was a member of this forum.  

Bill H

Did you build this with forced perspective or are you creating perspective with the camera?  Very nice. We have a fabulous cat maker person, Kerri Pajutee, here was a member of this forum.  

Bill H

The client decided that we would not use forced perspective, so I'm doing it with the camera only.

Oh, I know Kerri, she's fantastic! But our client wanted to find somebody in Moscow at first, and if he didn't find anybody there - start looking somewhere else. This kind of hobby is very new to Russia, so it was a sort of encouragement  and a challenge for young artisans in a way.

And my compliments again here too; gorgeous collaborative work! 

a very impressive work, congratulations Victoria!!. I have been following the process in your blog and I was looking forward to see the whole work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived