scaling question re jasper style plate

I enjoy making mini plates in the style of Wedgwood blue jasper ware but have a wee bit of a dilemma. As you can see from the picture the sculpt in the centre is proportionally somewhat larger than in the real thing. I can make smaller sculpts but I have found that when I do so the plates seem to loose their appeal. It is as if my eyes find the centre pieces too small to be of interest. So I make them larger. Is this a bad decision? I would appreciate any feedback on this or any other aspect of the plate. I would like to improve.

post-124-0-03424700-1402324970_thumb.jpg

Susann, I like your plate just as it is, using our eyes as final judgement is a good way to go. Depending on what one makes, often you have to leave some detail out because it becomes impossible to see it with the naked eye. I often find in making my furniture that I have to make a molding or some other detail just a bit bigger than exact scale, otherwise you don't even see it.

Welcome Susann,

Your plate is gorgeous. just as it is. I agree, the eye is the final judge. Too much can be lost sometimes when everything is in exact scale. I found that out when I tried to recreate an engraved design on a piece of miniature silver. All the detail was lost in perfect scale. When I enlarged it, it was just right.

Thanks ladies. I had already learnt that sometimes smaller does not work in mini via my knitting. I did very fine pink and green stripes in a doll's dress and my eye just merged them into a dirty mauve. Texture too can be lost. However outside of knitting I thought perhaps in other materials such as polymer the case might be different. I have seen very fine polymer work which did look right so found the whole thing perplexing. Good to know others make some adjustments outside of true scale.

Susann

I totally agree, the eye is the finial judge. No one ever pulls out a micrometer to check these sort of things..... I have always adjusted the size of things to look right. Do you have any photos of the side of the plate? It is the side view that often gives away that these are miniatures..... Especially if stacked.

Thanks for sharing it..... I think it is great!

• 1 year later...

Hello Susan,  I hope you are still working at making miniature Jasperware.  I think this piece looks beautiful !  The figure is graceful and lovely and well proportioned to the backround... and that is wonderful to see with the naked eye.  If I were to make any suggestion it would be that the leaves on the border might help the visual scale of the whole plate if they were a bit less dimensional...a touch finer in the manner of your impossibly fine vine that connects them. 

Sorry it has taken me a couple years to try again to figure out how to use this forum .  I am happy to see that you received good response from other members.  I agree with all  and would like to say about Bill's comment about looking at the side of the piece that edges of miniature pottery are very important to make scale believable.  so cast your plate as thin as possible and work the edges down from the back of the plate .  On hollowware...jugs,bowls etc. make certain that the rim is thin as you can get it... 1/12 of the thickness of a real piece of pottery is Really thin.

I am happy to have found this image of your wonderful piece here on The Forum !  I hope you will post more !

Susann, I had the same thought as Lee-Ann about the leaves. I think the ballerina is fine, but compared to her super delicate skirt and small feet, the leaves seemed large to me. It's a lovely plate, and I'd love to see more of your work!

Archived