Link to Ornamental Lathe Cutting Frame

Pete Boorum

Ornamental Turning has been an interest of mine for the past 30+ years....... It has been an interest to some going back over 400 years.

This link is only the tip of an iceberg of this interest. One feature is lately there has been a huge push towards making or modifying your own machines instead of using the rare antique lathes which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Moderators note, this title has been edited. The original title was link "link to cutting frame", that really gives no idea of what the topic is about, the new title gives a clue.

It is important that we all try to put informative titles on topics so later as the forum fills up folks will be able to find the in a search.

Thank you

Don't mean to be picky but just want to get folks thinking about how a forum works best...... Remember this is new to all of us.

This opens up so many possibilities, very interesting, thanks for posting Pete

• 1 year later...

In my studies of turning, I found a book, The Principles & Practice of Ornamental or Complex Turning by John Jacob Holtzapffel.    If you have an extra $59,999 you can purchase Holtzapffel lathe that I found on eBay.  I can purchase a Rose Engine for a mere $14,900...  Who needs a car.... when you can buy a lathe?  Oh dear....by the way, I bought a new lathe today...!

The Ornamental Turners Association (Bi-Annual) meeting is in Denver September 2016.

http://www.ornamentalturners.info/#

http://www.bealltool.com/products/penwizard/penwiz.php

Has anyone looked at the Beall Pen Wizard?  I thought this might have possibilities for miniature spindles or posts.  I just can't figure out what I would do with a long vertical hole in the center of all my posts... time to create turnings with feet and tops to plug the holes...?

Tamra

• 2 months later...

I can't believe I am just now seeing this.  It is very interesting and I'd love to do it.  Any chance we're going to modify any of the tool pool lathes to accomplish this?

:-)

I am still trying to figure out what these different kinds or ornamental lathes create - it would be fun to attend the meeting in Denver to get a better understanding...  I did read some stuff that I printed while jetting to Castine.  Can you machine some cool widgets on that bridgeport at the makerspace for us to be used on our taig?  I will be your first customer.  No more hand cut barley twists?  Although I do think it may be easier to program some of this on a CNC lathe.  I'm still really tempted to buy the Beall penwizard and see what I can create in 1/12th.  

https://engineturning.me/

Rio Grande has a nice video about  G. Phil Poirier, Master and I believe he is using a rose engine in this video.. at least rose engine is mentioned in the audio.   

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:59 PM, MeezerMama said:

I can't believe I am just now seeing this.  It is very interesting and I'd love to do it.  Any chance we're going to modify any of the tool pool lathes to accomplish this?

:-)

I don't think we can modify Guild School equipment, but plans for a MDF box that is the basis of a rose engine - were published.  This is the least expensive option that I have found for the trial.  The mdf box plans look pretty straightforward and easy to build.  I have not investigated the machining equipment costs yet. 

Check out the beautiful tool handle in this article.  While I love seeing the process of brass receiving a knurled finish, indexing is also fun!

http://www.whidbeyworks.com/root/MDF_Rose_Engine_files/RoseEngine.pdf

Suddenly, I want to learn to use indexing & dividing attachments to create my own brass gears for rose engine applications.. I just wonder if we could miniaturize this box and use taig machine parts instead.

Archived